Mexican Lasagna Recipe: It is a Mexican Casserole that is layered with corn tortillas, ground beef, beans, and cheese. It is the perfect dish when you want to feed a huge crowd. You can even make this recipe ahead and just reheat it before serving the guests. It will take exactly 90 minutes for making the recipe. The easy instructions to prepare the Mexican Lasagna and its nutritional values are along the lines. You can also check needed ingredients, recipe variations, and storage processes here.
What is Mexican Lasagna Recipe?
Mexican Lasagna is also called Taco Lasagna or Mexican Casserole. This lasagna is layered like a distant Italian cousin. We are using corn tortillas in place of lasagna noodles, salsa instead of sauce, beans instead of bechamel, and mild cheddar and jack in place of ricotta and Parmesan.
This cheesy Mexican Lasagna is made with seasoned beef that is layered between corn tortillas and a blend of jack and cheddar cheese then baked until bubbly in a casserole dish.
Make Ahead Mexican Lasagna Casserole
You can make the Mexican lasagna casserole in advance and reheat them before serving them. As it is a filling dish, perfect for potlucks and large crowds of hungry people. You can assemble the dish ahead of time, refrigerate, and bake it before serving. You can bake it cool and warm it in the oven. Serve the Mexican lasagna with guacamole and sour cream.
Here are the simple steps for make ahead Mexican lasagna.
- Assemble the lasagna layers as instructed.
- Cover the dish with foil.
- Store the lasagna in the fridge for one day.
- When you are ready to eat, follow the baking instructions to bake the recipe.
We advise you to bake for another 10 to 15 minutes baking time to compensate for the cold ingredients. Otherwise, allow the lasagna to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before going to baking.
If you want to reheat the lasagna in larger portions, then cover it with foil and bake in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 30 minutes or until heated.
If you choose to reheat the single portions in the microwave, heat on a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes. If the parts of the lasagna are still cool, then microwave for 20 seconds until everything is warm.
Ingredients Needed for Making Mexican Lasagna
The following is the list of ingredients required for making the Mexican lasagna recipe.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef or ground turkey: If you want, you can substitute ground turkey for ground
- beef. You can also use chicken or pork or shredded beef.
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 14-ounce can of refried pinto beans: A can of refried beans helps to hold each layer together.
- 1 red bell pepper: Choose the stem and seed removed, chopped one.
- 3 garlic cloves: Peeled and minced garlic.
- 28-ounce can be crushed or diced tomatoes: Use regular canned diced tomatoes instead of fire-roasted
- tomatoes. Or substitute with salsa.
- 6-inch corn tortillas: These corn tortillas are an excellent base for Mexican lasagna. 4 tortillas can be used
- as well, it comes down to your taste or preference.
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups coarsely grated mild cheddar cheese
- 2 cups coarsely grated Monterey Jack cheese
How To Make Mexican Lasagna Recipe?
Here are the instructions for making the Mexican lasagna recipe. Follow them properly and prepare the dish.
- Initially, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray the dish with a non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Take ground beef and onion in a large skillet and cook them on medium heat until the meat is browned and the onions get softened.
- Add peeled and minced garlic to the skillet and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now, add taco seasoning and water to the skillet and stir on medium heat until everything is well combined.
- Stir the tomatoes, green chiles, and black beans into the meat mixture and heat through.
- Line the prepared baking dish with corn tortillas, overlapping slightly to cover the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Spread the one-third of the meat mixture over the tortillas. Sprinkle cheese over the meat mixture.
- Continue layering corn tortillas, meat mixture and cheese into 3 different layers.
- Cover the mixture with aluminum foil and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the Mexican lasagna casserole is bubbly and the cheese is melted.
- Garnish it with diced tomatoes and green onions.
- Allow the casserole to cool for 10 minutes for easy slicing and serving.
- Serve the lasagna with guacamole, sour cream or lettuce.
Tips for the Best Mexican Lasagna
Use these tips for making the best Mexican Lasagna recipe.
- Take freshly grated cheese: Try to use freshly grated cheese. The store-bought shredded cheese won’t melt as fresh cheese.
- Swap the refried beans with other types: Black beans or pinto beans are great substitutions for refried beans. They will change the texture slightly but with equal taste.
- Allow the lasagna to rest after cooking: After cooking the lasagna, sit it for 10 to 15 minutes to avoid it being too watery. If you try to eat the lasagna right away, the noodles might not have soaked up all the extra liquid.
- Serve the lasagna with guacamole, lettuce or sour cream on top: You can even add tacos.
Mexican Taco Lasagna Recipe Variations
Just like other casseroles, you can make this lasagna also in different variations. You can customize your recipe based on what you have and what you need.
- Corn tortillas are best instead of using lasagna noodles and they are gluten-free. Don’t use water when you are using tortillas.
- Ground chicken or turkey are substitutes for lean. Otherwise, use refried beans and black beans for a vegetarian option.
- Instead of Colby jack cheese use pepper jack for the best spice. And add a bit of mozzarella for that lovely cheese pull.
- Just about any veggie can find its way into this lasagna.
- Toppings are highly encouraged for a real Tex-Mex flavor.
How To Store and Reheat Mexican Lasagna?
You can easily store the leftover Mexican lasagna dish by dividing them into individual servings. Allow the casserole to cool completely. Wrap it in plastic wrap and foil. Store them in the refrigerator for 3 days or in the freezer for 2 months.
To reheat them in larger portions, use the microwave. Cover the lasagna with foil and bake at 175-degree celsius for 30 minutes. To reheat them in a single serving, use a microwave. Heat the portions for 2 to 3 minutes on high.
Mexican Lasagna Nutritional Facts
The nutritional information of Mexican lasagna per serving is mentioned here:
- Calories: 420cal
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Protein: 25g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Sodium: 877mg
- Potassium: 358mg
- Fiber: 7g
- Sugar: 3g
- Vitamin A: 981IU
- Vitamin C: 5mg
- Calcium: 344mg
- Iron: 3mg
FAQs on Mexican Lasagna Recipe
1. How many types of lasagna are there?
There are 3 types of lasagna. They are meat, vegetables and cheese.
2. How much protein is in Mexican lasagna?
29g protein is in Mexican lasagna.
3. What is Mexican lasagna made of?
Mexican lasagna is made with corn tortillas, ground beef, green chiles, cheese, and salsa.
4. What’s the top layer of lasagna?
The top layer of lasagna is torn mozzarella.
We are thinking that the details provided here regarding Mexican Lasagna Recipe are helpful for you. Get the detailed recipe, ingredients, and topping for making the dish. Stay in touch with our site to know more recipes like this.