How Long Do Blueberries Last?: The best thing about the summertime is most probably the fresh Blueberries and when you see them in the grocery store you can never ignore them but ended up buying them.
We know that most people have doubts regarding How Long Do Blueberries Last and the ways to store them carefully. But no need to worry, Read this article to know every single detail of How How Long Blueberries Last, storage tips, whether can blueberries go bad, and also the signs to know they are gone bad.
- Can Blueberries Go Bad?
- How Long Do Blueberries Last?
- How to Tell If Blueberries are Bad?
- How to Store Fresh Blueberries to Increase their Shelf Life?
- How to Freeze Blueberries?
- How can you tell if Blueberries have gone bad?
- How long do unwashed Blueberries last in the fridge?
- Are Blueberries still good after 2 weeks?
- Do Blueberries last longer in the fridge or on the counter?
Yes, blueberries can go bad if not taken properly care of them as required. If you don’t want them to go bad then the most important thing to remember is to not wash them before storing them. The shelf life of blueberries is up to 2 weeks when stored in the refrigerator. Here we have given the ways to store blueberries for a longer period and spoilage signs.
The lifetime of blueberries is mainly dependent on the conditions in which you store them and the ripe level when you just bought them from the store. You can easily grow fresh blueberries and eat them by plucking them whenever you want. Just one thing that needs to keep in mind is that beware of using synthetic chemicals like pesticides and fertilizers instead grow them with love.
The blueberries maintain its freshness for only 2 days when stored in the pantry. If you place them in the fridge, then you can enjoy blueberries for about 1 to 2 weeks. In the freezer, the blueberry’s shelf life can extend up to 8 months.
|Lifespan of Blueberry
|Stored in Fridge
There are a few signs to make you understand when to discard bad or rotten Blueberries. Here are listed some observations and if there are any of these in them then it is better to give them away.
- Mushy Berries: If the Blueberries are mushy and too soft to the touch they are a signal of overripe blueberries which tastes sour. We should not consider that sour blueberries are safe to eat but not as good as fresh ones so it is better not to eat them directly but to make jams and preserves from them instead.
- Wrinkles or Bruising: This is a sign of the life-ending of the Blueberries when it has wrinkles or visible bruises so consider them included in muffing or something.
- Faded color: When the purple-blue berries lose their color and become discolored then it will be even more harmful than eating the rotten ones and it needs to be thrown away considering your health. It is very risky to be eaten in any way whether as an addition to any food or raw.
- Moldy Blueberries: The moldy growth on the outer skin of Blueberries is very dangerous to eat and it can cause life-threatening allergies if not discarded early.
- Old Berries: If the berries are old then you can easily get sick by eating them as it is very risky but not if you have frozen them that is a different case. It is very important to follow the freezing instructions very carefully to keep them healthy and safe.
If you just brought fresh blueberries from the store and going to wash them to maintain hygiene, then wait. Blueberries are very fragile fruit and washing them will make them hard and the moisture added will spoil them and unhealthy to eat.
If you want to store blueberries for more days, then remove every moldy berry and also which is not properly ripped to save the fruit from bad ones. Look for is the container in which you going to store the blueberries and make sure to remove any growing stems or debris from going into the container. But not an airtight container you need to choose.
With these steps, you can easily save the fresh blueberries at your home which you brought from the store by wisely picking the best ones.
For freezing Blueberries, you have to wash them and then dry them off properly with a towel or something. Place them for almost 2 to 3 hours in a tray to prevent them from clumping and make sure to put parchment paper on the tray. They are all set to go into a freezer bag or a container and put into the freezer for a long time to eat them whenever you want and as much as you can.
FAQs on How long do Blueberries last
Check the texture, color, taste, and smell of blueberries, if you see any wrinkles or faded color, or moldy on the surface are the signs of spoilage.
The unwashed blueberries last for 1 to 2 weeks in the fridge.
If they are stored in the fridge then they are good to eat for 2 weeks but if you want to eat after 2 weeks then it is better to freeze them instead so that for months they are healthy to eat.
Blueberries last longer in the fridge. The blueberries’ lifespan in the refrigerator is about 2 weeks and on the counter is just 2 days.
Here we got all the information from the basic details of How Long Do Blueberries Last, their storing and freezing process. You can have the pleasure to eat your favorite fruit Blueberry even in winter as well if you follow the right information to preserve them wisely. If you have some other questions about any food item quickly jump onto our page Canfoodgobad.com and stay tuned for new articles.