Can Rice Go Bad?: Rice is one of the pantry staples that has an indefinite shelf life when it comes to uncooked rice. However, this is not the same with Cooked Rice and it has less shelf life compared to uncooked rice. Have you bought plenty of rice bags all at once and are not sure how long it’s been kept in your pantry? You might have got this question for sure Can Rice Go Bad and whether or not to toss it out? Then this article is for you and we will try to clear your quest of questions regarding Rice.
To help you out we have even mentioned the Shelf Life, Expiration Dates, and a lot more regarding Rice in the below sections. You can even get knowledge on How Long Different Varieties of Rice Last, Techniques of Storing Rice, Dangers of Eating Expired Rice.
- Does Rice Expire?
- How Long Does Rice Last?
- How to Store Rice?
- How to Tell if Rice is Bad?
- Can You Freeze Rice?
- Dangers of Eating Expired Rice
- Fun Facts about Rice
- What is the Shelf Life of White Rice?
- What happens if you eat expired rice?
- How long does Cooked White Rice last in the Fridge?
- How Long does Uncooked Rice last once opened?
Does Rice Expire?
Yes, Rice can Expire and it depends on how you store it. No matter the variety of rice it can go bad if not stored properly. Just see the signs of spoilage to understand what’s wrong with your rice. Store it in an air-tight container in a dry place to prevent moisture and bugs. By doing so you can prolong the shelf life of rice.
How Long Does Rice Last?
Shelf Life of Rice lies in the variety you have. When it comes to Dry White Rice the Shelf Life is pretty much indefinite. Whereas Cooked Rice retains its quality for around 3-6 days. Sometimes it can last long after this time too and it is purely your luck. All these times don’t indicate it is bad to eat rice after that time but tells us how long the rice is at its peak quality. Before you eat make sure it is safe and then have it to avoid any food-related complications.
Keep this thumb rule in mind if you want to store cooked rice after 3-6 days make sure to freeze it so that it doesn’t spoil. If you wonder how long white rice in cooked and uncooked conditions last see the following table.
|White rice (uncooked)||Indefinitely||Indefinitely||Indefinitely|
|White rice (cooked)||3 – 6 days||6 months|
How to Store Rice?
Storing Rice isn’t rocket science and you just need to follow certain things in mind. Keep it in a cool and dry place such as a pantry or kitchen cabinet. Transfer the rice to an airtight container after you open the bag. You can store it in the Fridge too and it can be a great option. However, make sure you keep them in freezer bags that are resealable and remove air from the bag to avoid any freezer burns.
When it comes to Cooked Rice the Storage Options are different. If you can finish them in a few days better store them in the Fridge and make sure to seal them tightly. Let the cooked rice cool down for a few minutes and then store it in the Fridge.
How to Tell if Rice is Bad?
Some of the signs that indicate if your rice is bad are explained beneath with clear-cut explanations. They are as under
- Signs of Mold: If you notice any mold growth inside the rice you better toss it out than taking risk of consuming it.
- Pantry Pests: If any of the Pantry Pests get into your bag better throw them away. Check out bugs in nearby bags too as they spread out fastly.
- Dampness or Water: If you notice any Dampness or Water mold might grow. If you are not sure how far mold growth has come better get rid of it.
- Off Smell: If you sense any Sour or Off Smell it is a pretty sure sign that rice has gone bad. You might even get a harsh or paint-like smell if your rice has become Rancid.
If you want to learn about other varieties of rice see our article on Can Brown Rice Go Bad, etc.
Can You Freeze Rice?
Yes, you can Freeze Cooked Rice and the process is pretty simple. Split the rice into small portions and let it cool down at room temperatures. Then transfer the grains into freezer bags and remove the excess air from the bags and seal them. Also, add names and labels on the bag and then keep the freezer bags in the Freezer for storing long term. Meal Prep Containers can be a great option to freeze rice if you plan to use it after a week or two.
Dangers of Eating Expired Rice
Expired Rice contains fungi or mold that produces mycotoxins that may cause food poisoning. You may experience symptoms ranging from vomiting, nausea, abdominal pain, increased risk of cancer, and a weak immune system. Mold contamination may even reduce the nutritional quality. If you don’t freeze or refrigerate the cooked rice after 2 hours the bacteria may make you fall sick.
Fun Facts about Rice
Below are some of the interesting facts, nutritional value, and health benefits of consuming Rice. They are along the lines
- Rice is known for its ability to provide fast and instant energy.
- You can get the essential source of Vitamin B1 to the human body.
- Rice aids in digestion and increases metabolism and boosts skin health.
- The nutritional value of rice depends on the variety of rice you use.
- Rice is a symbol of rice and fertility and is associated with the God of Wealth Lakshmi.
FAQs on Can Rice Go Bad
1. What is the Shelf Life of White Rice?
White Rice has a Shelf Life of about 2 Years.
2. What happens if you eat expired rice?
Expired Rice might cause you food poisoning, vomiting, nausea, abdominal pain, etc. due to the mycotoxins produced by mold or fungi.
3. How long does Cooked White Rice last in the Fridge?
Cooked Rice will last about 3-6 days in the Fridge.
4. How Long does Uncooked Rice last once opened?
Uncooked Rice lasts indefinitely but will not have the same taste after years.
We hope the information present on our page regarding the article Can Rice Go Bad has answered all your queries. If you have any other doubts regarding the storage practices, shelf life & expiration dates do write us so that we can guide you. Bookmark our site to get the latest updates on Grains and Carbs storage methods and shelf life techniques.