Can Coconut Milk Go Bad? What Happens If I Drink Expired Coconut Milk?: Are you planning to use coconut milk for the first time in your cooking? Want to gather all the necessary information about coconut milk before you start your recipe?
Let’s check this guide and gain knowledge about coconut milk like how it is made, whether can coconut milk go bad in the pantry/fridge/freezer, what is coconut milk’s shelf life, how to store coconut milk fresh, signs of spoilage, how to freeze and defrost the coconut milk, and more easily and clear all your doubts in no time.
- How Is Coconut Milk Made?
- Can Coconut Milk Go Bad?
- How Long Does Coconut Milk Last in Fridge?
- Storing Coconut Milk | How to Store Coconut Milk Fresh Long Time?
- Signs that Coconut Milk Has Gone Bad | How to know if coconut milk is bad?
- Fun Facts About Coconut Milk
- FAQs on Does Coconut Milk Go Bad? – Shelf Life, Storage Tips, Spoilage Signs
- What happens if you drink expired coconut milk (spoiled)?
- How do you know coconut milk is bad?
- Can expired coconut milk make you sick?
- How long does coconut milk last after opening?
You may be aware of making coconut milk in various ways but the standard method to make coconut milk is by grating the coconut white from the shell and then extracting the milk by pressing or squeezing the grated coconut white.
One which is not added any water content is called thick coconut milk and the other is called thin coconut milk. For thinner coconut milk, additionally, you need to soak the grated coconut white meat in water prior to squeezing out the milk.
You can use the thicker milk in various dishes like soups, sauce recipes, and desserts too. You can count thicker coconut milk as very high in the fat category and pack always in cans.
Guys who leave dairy products to consume due to a strict diet or to avoid allergic reactions can go with the thinner coconut milk as a milk substitute. Mostly, this type of coconut milk is packed in aseptic, shelf-stable containers, which should be stored in the fridge most of the time.
Also Check: Can Apple Juice Go Bad
Yes, coconut milk can go bad like all other non-dairy and dairy milk drinks. It doesn’t matter whether the coconut milk is thick or thin, the shelf life is completely based on how you store it and the packaging. As aseptic-packed coconut milk’s shelf life is between 6 and 12 months.
If stored properly with tight sealing then it may last for a month past the coconut milk expiration date. When it comes to the coconut milk that is bought from the refrigerated section without any aseptic package needs to finish within a week of the expiry date.
If the coconut milk is opened and sits in the pantry then it will start spoiling in a short period of time. If you hold the thicker coconut milk which is opened then it lasts for 7-10 days in the fridge whereas the thinner gets spoiled in about 7 days.
Let’s check all the periods of estimated coconut milk shelf life means how long is coconut milk good for from the below module and make sure to store your coconut milk fresh until you finish it.
Do Refer: Can Gatorade Go Bad
Surprisingly, coconut milk has a longer shelf life when it is Unopened Can last for about 5 years at room temperature or in a fridge or freezer. When it is opened can then it stay for a very short time like 2 days if stored on the counter.
As it starts down the quality at the moment you open the can or container of coconut milk. So, use the opened coconut milk before it goes bad, do check the table for the rough estimated shelf life of fresh coconut milk in the pantry, fridge, and freezer.
Also, you may get to know what is the storage time for unopened and opened cartons of coconut milk from here in the table and image.
|In the pantry
|In the fridge
|In the freezer
Also, download the image of the shelf life of coconut milk and spread awareness on the same to others via sharing on social media handles.
The best and extended shelf life of coconut milk completely depends on the storage condition you follow. So, here we are going to discuss a lot of the ways to store your coconut milk fresh for a longer time. Let’s start:
- Firstly, we’ll talk about the unopened and shelf-stable canned coconut milk storage method. It needs cool, dark places that are free from humidity or heat conditions.
- Now coming to the open can, the coconut milk needs to sit in the fridge in an airtight container.
- If you have the leftover milk that should last for a longer time then go with the freezing storage method. Freeze the coconut milk and extend the storage life to 6 months.
- You can store coconut milk in the freezer using an airtight container or ice cube tray. You can use the coconut milk ice cubes in smoothies to add extra creaminess.
- If you want to use the frozen milk then thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and enjoy it in the morning.
Here are a few signs of spoilage that tell whether coconut milk is bad for you or not. Look at the points & get awareness:
- One of the strongest signs that can identify bad coconut milk is mold. If the surface of the milk is covered with mold or film then it has been treated as a spoiled one.
- Likewise, if you find signs like dark color, chunky, or initiate to curdle, then discard them immediately.
- One more common sign is the smell to know whether coconut milk has spoiled or not. If it smells sour or rancid, it should not be taken.
- If the can or container seems at all swollen or bulging, then it is spoiled and discarded right away which applies the same to soy, oat, and almond milk.
- The separation of thick coconut milk doesn’t come under spoilage signs, it is normal and safe to consume. To make it look normal shake the container or can after proper sealing or stir well.
The following points are some of the facts about coconut milk that contain nutrition, health, and historical facts:
- Coconut milk and cream are sources of healthy fats known as medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs).
- Coconut milk is a bit healthier than dairy milk as it includes fewer nutrients.
- The nutrition facts about one tablespoon of coconut milk which is 15g include 29.6 calories, 0.3g of protein, 0.4g of carbohydrates, and 3.2g of fat.
- Coconut milk may improve cognitive function and cholesterol levels, and it can protect cells from damage.
Also Refer: Can Kombucha Go Bad
Accidentally, if you drink spoiled coconut milk in large quantities then it may cause coconut milk food poisoning which results in uncomfortable digestive symptoms like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
If you take a sip of spoiled coconut milk then it’s safe. If not, then you may have to face any of the spoiled coconut milk side effects.
When your coconut milk smells sour and contains mold then it is an indication that coconut milk has gone bad. Also, if any chunky and darker color appears on the surface, you can decide that coconut milk is bad.
Yes, you may get sick from coconut milk as it has a high-fat content that affects digestive symptoms like diarrhea or abdominal cramps especially when anyone has irritable bowel syndrome.
Opened coconut milk can last upto 7-10 days in the fridge.
Key Takeaways – Does canned coconut milk go bad?
We hope the details conveyed on our page connected to Can Coconut Milk Go Bad have cleared your queries. Need to ask or suggest anything else regarding coconut milk or other non-dairy drinks, drop the comment below & will guide you soon on the same.