Patty Melt Dish: Patty Melt is one of the famous sandwich varieties that need no introduction. If you aren’t tried or heard about it prior then follow me. Today I am going to share with you complete details about patty melts right from what it is made of to how to cook it at home.
After trying this patty melt recipe by yourself then you don’t crave burgers anymore. You will surely say a Big No To Burger and Yes To Patty Melt, I can assure you. So why so late? Just jump into this guide immediately.
- Ingredients Needed To Cook Classic Patty Melt Dish
- How To Make A Classic Patty Melt Recipe? (Directions)
- Tips & Substitutions For Making The Best Patty Melt Recipe
- Which Bread Is The Best For Patty Melt?
- FAQs on Authentic & Easy Patty Melt Dinner Recipe
A patty melt is a different version of burger, it includes the same ingredients as beef and cheese. But Patty Melt is an American sandwich that is layered with ground beef and melted cheese between slices of toasted bread. The ingredients required to prep and cook the patty melt classic recipe are listed here along with the measurements enough for 3 servings.
You can also know the prep and cooking time for this dinner recipe ie., patty melt here. It takes 20 minutes for prep and 15 minutes for cooking. So, stay continue with the guide:
- Six rye bread slices
- Six tbsps of soft butter
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 6 slices Provolone cheese
- Three tablespoons of mayonnaise
- Two tablespoons of ketchup
- One pound of ground beef
- 1 tbsp real bacon bits
- 1 tsp sweet relish
- 1 tsp white sugar
- Half a teaspoon of sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- One-fourth tsp of onion powder
The instructions you should be followed to make this recipe is explained here in a step-wise manner. So be careful while following the steps and cook the best patty melt by yourself for dinner:
- First and foremost, take a slice of bread and butter it on one side using a thick smear and repeat the same process for all six slices of bread.
- For making and cooking the patties, all you have to do is blend the ground beef, pepper, onion powder/caramelized onions, and salt as per taste.
- Keep these patties in a non-stick skillet or pan and cook them for about 2-3 minutes each side on medium-high heat. After that, change the heat to low and cook for 5 more minutes for perfect cooking.
- Now, it’s time to make the sauce used in the patty melt recipe. First, take the mayo and ketchup together.
- Mix well with the help of a whisk then stir in the bacon, sugar, and relish.
- Smudge the prepared sauce over the three slices of bread on one side which is not on butter.
- Pay attention to this step as it is time for assembling all the elements to make a patty melt. Take a skillet and heat up to start cooking. Place one bread slice (butter-side down) which is not have a sauce on the skillet.
- On the bread slice, place the two slices of cheese followed by a patty and two more slices of provolone.
- Now, place the bread slice (sauce-side down) on top of the second cheese slice.
- Finally, cook the patty melts on peak and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or till it toasts slightly.
- Repeat the last three steps for the next set of patty melts and enjoy them served hot at dinner time.
Here are some of the important tricks and variations you can try and take your patty melt recipe to the next level taste-wise and texture-wise. Let’s see the tips & follow them at last-minute:
- If you don’t have butter and you’ve realized at the last minute then substitute the mayo or margarine.
- You can even add up some more sides over the classic patty melt like fries, chips, spreads, coleslaw, salad, etc. that taste great with the authentic ones.
- To make it easy and quick, you can make the sauce prior and save your prep time and cooking time when you’re in a rush.
- If you don’t like the cheese used in the classic recipe then try replacing it with the pepper jack for some spice or gouda for smokey flavor.
- The recipe suggested onion powder to save your prep time, but if you have enough prep time then make sticky-sweet caramelized onions on your own as it enhances the taste.
- Using tools like cast iron while cooking the melts gives a terrific flavor.
A bread that is thick and firm with no holes is the best one to go with a patty melt as it holds the melted cheese and other fillings too. The best bread that suits your requirement is rye bread. This rye bread is also a traditional one to make a patty melt so why choose others?
Still, if you are looking for the next best option to make the patty melt then here are some other good options you can try for cooking the patty melt recipe. They are:
- Multigrain slices (thick)
- Texas toast
- Whole wheat slices (thick)
An owner named Tiny Naylor has a chain of Biff’s Drive-Ins and coffee shop resturants from the late 1930s to 1957. At that time, they started experimenting with food, and patty melt was invented. Naylor placed the beef patties in the middle of two slices of rye bread and that’s how patty melt debuted.
Patty melt is not a healthy dish to be served regularly but it’s the perfect dish for weeknights and party nights. As it includes a beef patty, cheese, tartar sauce, and bread which may take a long time to digest. The nutritional facts like 980 calories, 55 grams of fat, and 1780 mg of sodium are not considered to be a healthy nutritional value.
Patty melt is made of cooked beef patty inside the two slices of bread and toasted on both sides to cook evenly. Also, it includes cheese slices and onions on the top of patty for extra flavor.
The major difference between a patty melt and a hamburger is a base ingredient. Patty melt is served on a toasted sandwich bread whereas hamburger uses a soft bun. Patty Melt is a unique version of the classic American cheeseburger. But the similar things you find in both dishes are ground beef patties and cheese.
A patty melt is one of the best dinner meals for sandwich lovers, so we advise you to try it once at home by following the recipe directions given above and enjoy your dinner. If you want to check more healthy and crazy dinner recipes to serve in the next weeknights then follow our website @canfoodgobad.com regularly.
Not only dinner recipes we are into breakfast and other food styles of recipes that blow your mind after having a look at them. Keep in touch or bookmark our site for getting notifications when any of our articles go live.