How Long Do Peaches Last: Peach Season is a favorite for almost everyone and we often end up buying more than what we can eat realistically. This often leads to the wastage of food and nobody wants to do so. In this article, we will explain to you guidelines on How Long Do Peaches Last, Tips to Store Peaches for better shelf life, signs to tell if they are bad, etc. in detail. Apart from this, we have listed details on doing peaches need to be refrigerated, and how to freeze peaches in the later modules.
- How To Store Peaches?
- How Long Do Peaches Last?
- How To Freeze Peaches?
- How To Tell If Peaches Is Bad?
- Do Peaches Need To Be Refrigerated?
- Tips to Pick Fresh Peaches
- Do peaches last longer in the fridge or on the counter?
- How do you know when peaches go bad?
- How long are peaches good for in the fridge?
How To Store Peaches?
There are different ways in which you can store Peaches and here are some of them listed for your reference. Based on whether they are ripe or unripe follow the method that better suits you. They are as under
Storing Unripe Peaches
- The first and foremost step is to look at whether the peaches are ripe or not.
- If they are not ripened keep them on the counter and allow them to ripen. Keep them in a brown paper bag to ripen quickly.
- You can even keep peaches near bananas or apples so that they can ripen even faster.
- Keep the peaches on the shoulders and also leave space between them so that they don’t get spoiled.
Placing Peaches in the Fridge
Follow this procedure to store Peaches in the Fridge and the process is as follows
- Firstly, rinse the peaches to clear off any dust and debris on the surface of the peaches.
- Then, dry the fruits using a paper towel or a hand towel. Do this step for sure as any moisture caught up on the surface will eventually spoil the fruit when kept in the fridge due to cold temperatures.
- Try keeping the Peaches in a bag or on their own.
- If you want to keep sliced peaches cut them and apply lemon juice on top of them so that they don’t become brown in color.
- Keep the sliced peaches in an airtight container.
- In this method too rinse the peaches to remove dust and debris.
- Peel off the skin using a clean knife or a peeler.
- Cut the peaches into the required slices or halves based on how you are placing to use them.
- Keep the peeled slices in the freezer or use a baking tray.
- Keep the peaches in a freezer tray for 4-12 hours and transfer the peaches to an airtight container.
How Long Do Peaches Last?
The Shelf Life of Peaches depends on the condition in which they are present i.e. whether they are ripe or unripe. Apart from this the shelf life of peaches also depends on the conditions in which they are stored. If it is the case with unripe peaches they will stay for about 1-3 days on the counter. However, if they are ripe the shelf life will be for about 5-7 days. We have provided rough estimates on the shelf life of peaches in the below table.
|Peaches, unripe||1 – 3 days, until ripe|
|Peaches, ripe||1 – 2 days||5 – 7 days|
|Peaches, cut||up to 4 days|
How To Freeze Peaches?
If you have more peaches than you could eat at once you better consider freezing them. Firstly, slice your ripe beauties and freeze them on a baking sheet. After they are frozen shift them to a plastic bag and keep them in the freezer.
How To Tell If Peaches Is Bad?
If you notice any of these signs better discard the peaches for safety reasons. They are explained below
- Moldy or Rotten: If you find any mold growing on the peaches it has gone bad. If the moldy area is tiny you can cut the spoiled portion and use the rest.
- Mushy: If you observe the fruit is mushy or squishing or turned soft it is done for.
- Funny Smell: Give a quick sniff test and if you feel any smell apart from the regular smell it is probably done for. To be on the safe side better toss it out.
- Brown Inside: Some of the fruits will show signs of damage from the inside. Peach is one among them although it is good from the outside and if you find the flesh is brown and transculent you better get rid of it.
Do Peaches Need To Be Refrigerated?
Refrigeration is not mandatory for ripe peaches. However, you can do so to extend their shelf life of them for a few more days. Ripe Peaches will last for about 1 to 2 days if you leave them on the counter. However, you shouldn’t keep the unripe ones and allow them to ripen properly. To refrigerate them keep them in a plastic bag and then keep them on the fridge shelf or crisp drawer. These two options will help you to retain moisture better.
Tips to Pick Fresh Peaches
Here are some of the tips and tricks to follow while choosing the peaches and they are as follows
- If you want to eat them after a day or two buy the ones that are firm.
- If you are about to eat them in the next two days select the ones that can yield under gentle pressure.
- Look for any signs of deterioration like mold growing or spots on the surface and avoid picking such ones.
- Take the peaches that are green or orange in color based on the need and how fast you are going to consume.
FAQs on Shelf Life Of Peaches
1. Do peaches last longer in the fridge or on the counter?
Yes, Peaches last longer in the fridge.
2. How do you know when peaches go bad?
If you observe signs like the mushy, funny smell, or brown spots on the peaches they might have gone bad.
3. How long are peaches good for in the fridge?
Peaches will stay good for about 5-7 days in the Fridge.
We wish the information furnished above has shed some light on you. If you need any further assistance feel free to write us through the comment box and we will get back to you. Bookmark our site to avail latest updates on Peaches Shelf Life, Storage, and Spoilage Signs in a matter of no time. Keep connected to get information on How To Store Mangoes and many others in the blink of an eye.