Does Apple Pie Need To Be Refrigerated?: Bought a lot of apple pie for the upcoming birthday party and now wondering where to store it. Have a sweet tooth and wish to keep apple pies within your arm’s reach? Then, this article is for you. Hardly anyone can resist the temptation to eat sugary treats such as apple pies. The aroma of pies makes the bakeries no less than heaven. Therefore, in this article, we will answer all your questions about the shelf life, expiry dates, storage tips, and defrosting techniques for apple pies.
- Does Apple Pie Need To Be Refrigerated?
- How Long Does Apple Pie Last?
- How To Store Apple Pies?
- How To Defrost Apple Pies?
- How To Tell If Apple Pies Have Gone Bad?
- How long can apple pie be left unrefrigerated?
- What pies do not need to be refrigerated?
- Is it OK to leave apple pie out overnight?
Does Apple Pie Need To Be Refrigerated?
Yes, if you have already indulged in your apple pie, and no, if it is still untouched. The answer to this question depends on whether you have cut the pie or not, how old it is, and how long it has been sitting on your kitchen counter. Usually, an untouched apple pie will retain its freshness for up to 2 days even at room temperature. Whereas, chopped pies will need to be refrigerated immediately after you are done having a portion.
If you wish to extend their shelf life for at least a week, then blindly pick freezing over refrigeration anytime. However, you need to be cautious about the methodologies that you apply to store your apple pie. No worries, we will be telling you soon about these strategies.
How Long Does Apple Pie Last?
Given that you have stored it properly inside the refrigerator, apple pie can last up to 5 days. However, these shelf life statistics tend to fluctuate a lot depending on the quality of ingredients used. We will be telling you estimated time slots for which your apple pies will stay fresh and scrumptious. The timelines are similar for home-baked and professionally-made apple pies.
|Type of Apple Pie||Shelf Life At Room Temperature||Shelf Life in the Refrigerator|
|Uncut Apple Pie||2-3 days||1 week|
|Chopped Apple Pie||1-2 days||1 week|
How To Store Apple Pies?
You are Lucky!! You have managed to get your hands on these yummy sugary treats for now. But, it is natural to be riddled with a question about How To Store Apple pies. No worries! We got you covered. As long as you have access to refrigerators and freezers, it will be a piece of cake to store your apple pies. Let’s explore the storing techniques for freshly baked or a week-old apple pies alike.
At Room Temperature
- If you have recently baked or bought your apple pies, then they can be safely kept on your kitchen counter. After all, they tend to look quite aesthetic.
- However, they will collect dust and become unfit for consumption if you leave them uncovered. So cover apple pies with a lid or plastic wrap.
- Avoid leaving them outside for more than 2 days.
In the Refrigerator
- If you have a large apple pie, try chopping it into smaller serving-size portions.
- Place each of these pieces inside separate airtight containers if you have enough space or keep them in a single large pan.
- Cover these containers/bowls with lids or parchment papers. It is important to cover and separate them so that apple pie doesn’t pick up smells of other food items.
- Use accordingly since your apple pies will now last for at least 5 days.
In the Freezer
If you are looking to extend the shelf life of apple pies for an exceptionally long time i. e. for a month, then freezing them is the way to go. Follow the exact same steps that you performed while refrigerating the apple pies.
How To Defrost Apple Pies?
Although yummy apple pies can be enjoyed in both warm and cold states, usually it is recommended to defrost them so they can retain their flavor. As a result of defrosting, the frozen sugar crystals will melt back into syrup and enrich the pie’s flavor profile.
If you are in no hurry to eat your apple pie, then simply take it out of the freezer and place it inside your refrigerator. When you leave it overnight, you can expect your delicious apple pie back in its original form by morning. However, if you are one of those enthusiastic foodies, then you can leave your frozen pies on the kitchen counter for an hour or so. This will be enough to defrost it completely.
How To Tell If Apple Pies Have Gone Bad?
Mindlessly eating an expired or spoiled apple pie can terribly affect your health. You may end up feeling nauseous, drowsy, and irritable. So, it is better to be aware of the signs of pie spoilage before you think of having one. Here, we will tell you about some of the most common and easily identifiable red flags of spoiled apple pies.
- If your pie has been sitting inside the refrigerator for more than a week, get rid of it immediately. It may look tempting and perfectly fine to eat, but the ingredients inside the apple pie are past their expiration date.
- To err on the side of caution, throw away your apple pie if it smells “weird”.
- Also, try to eat a small bite to taste for freshness before you happily gorge on it. If you suspect any unusual taste, throw away your apple pie.
- Any traces of mold on your pies clearly means that they need to be put in a trash can now. Also, cutting off the moldy regions may not be a good idea because pies have soft interiors, thereby easily penetrable.
FAQs on Does Apple Pie Need To Be Refrigerated?
1. How long can apple pie be left unrefrigerated?
If your apple pies contain added sugar, then you can leave them on the kitchen counter for up to 2 days. After that, consider freezing the pies to avoid any spoilage due to mold or dust. The uncut apple pies tend to last longer than the chopped ones at room temperature. This goes for both homemade and bakery-made apple pies alike.
2. What pies do not need to be refrigerated?
The pies containing a lot of added sugar, syrup, or eggs tend to go bad fast. Therefore, they shall be refrigerated as soon as you take them out of their original packing. However, pies containing whole fruits can last longer without refrigeration. Also, they are healthier as compared to their sugary counterparts.
3. Is it OK to leave apple pie out overnight?
Yes, you can leave your freshly baked apple pies on the kitchen counter overnight. However, if pies are a few days old, then they might go bad or extremely stale by the morning without any refrigeration.
We hope that this article helped you out with your apple pie worries. If you follow the correct storing tips, then you can easily savor these desserts for a long time. Stay tuned for more such articles on How Long Do Apples Last and about your favorite foods, their shelf life, expiry dates, storage tips, and much more.