Chicken a la King: Would you like to have creamy chicken for dinner and looking for a recipe? Then you have come to the right place as we have provided you with the chicken a la king recipe. Classic chicken a la king is creamy, rich, and overflowing with juicy chunks of meat that are made from scratch. This recipe can be served with rice, toast, biscuits, and pasta.
Chicken a la King is an American dish from the early 1900s. And the name looks different as the name king is taken from the name William King. He is the one who invented this dish. Check out the article for the complete recipe of this chicken a la king, along with some information like tips and tricks, storage, and others.
- What is Chicken A la King?
- Ingredients That You Need To Prepare Easy Chicken A La King
- How To Prepare Old Fashioned Chicken A La King
- Tips and Tricks To Follow While Cooking Chicken A la King
- Variations That You Can Use In This Best Chicken A La King Recipe
- Nutritional Information of Easy Chicken A La King
- How To Make Ahead and Store Chicken A La King Recipe
- What are some pre-cooked chicken options to use in this chicken a la king recipe?
- What we can serve with this chicken a la king?
- Can we able to reduce the calories that we have in this chicken a la king recipe?
- What is the easy way to poach the chicken?
- Can you freeze the Chicken a la King recipe?
Chicken a la King recipe is nothing but cooked and diced chicken that is added in a cream sauce along with mushrooms, bell peppers, and the veggies that you like that are often served with pasta, rice, bread, and noodles. This chicken a la king is also known as king-style chicken. This dish became popular in the mid to late 20th century and as we mentioned above this was invented by William King in the 1900s when he was a cook at the Bellevue Hotel in Philadelphia according to the origin stories.
Chicken a la king is super delicious to eat and also it is a quick meal to cook. Below is the simple ingredients list that we need for making the chicken a la king.
- All Purpose Flour – 1/2 cup
- Butter – 1/2 Cup
- Green Pepper (Chopped) – 1
- Salt – 1 Teaspoon
- Hot water – 1 1/4 Cups
- Milk – 1 1/2 Cups
- Chopped Pimento – 4 Ounces
- Ground Black Pepper – 1/4 Teaspoon
- Mushrooms – 1 Can
- Boneless Chicken Breast Halves
- Chicken Bouillon Powder – 1 1/2 Teaspoons
Have a look at this step by step instructions to follow for preparing the old-fashioned classic chicken a la king. And you can prepare this in 20-30 minutes of time and the process of making is also very simple. By looking at the below steps you can know that the recipe is very simple to make.
- Firstly, you need to take a large skillet and keep it on the stove with medium heat. Melt the butter and add mushrooms, bell peppers, then cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Once it is cooked for 5 minutes, remove them from the stove and add flour, salt, and black pepper and stir it well. Again cook it on low heat by stirring it continuously, until you can see bubbles on the mixture.
- After that add milk, water, and mushroom liquid, to the mixture and bring it to a boil by placing them on medium heat. Whisk it constantly.
- Once the sauce is thick then add the pimento and chicken and stir it well until they are well coated with the mixture.
Once everything is completed, then serve it with rice or add pasta to it and serve.
Here are some simple tips and tricks to follow while we are preparing the chicken a la king recipe to get perfect results.
- You can make this recipe with leftover chicken or turkey too.
- Adding a dash of paprika or cayenne for a subtle layer of heat.
- Have it with rice, or pasta.
- To save some time, use the pre-sliced mushrooms that are store-bought.
- If you want your dish to be colorful, you can add bell peppers in different colors.
- Even if you like seafood, you can replace chicken with tuna.
- The liquids that you use in this dish should be at room temperature.
- Always be sure to cook the chicken before you add rice or pasta in case you are not using rotisserie Chicken or any pre-cooked Chicken.
When we would like to cook this chicken a la king recipe, we might not like to use some ingredients due to unlike or allergies. So for them here we are going to provide you with the variations that you can replace instead of the ingredients that we use in the chicken a la king recipe.
- If you dont always like to eat this dish with chicken and if you want some new taste you can add turkey or tuna by replacing chicken and even it tastes quite delicious.
- For the thicker cream sauce, instead of using whole milk, you can replace it with heavy cream.
- Even you can add extra seasonings like paprika, onion powder, cayenne pepper, dried rosemary, and many more for extra flavor.
- You do need to add the veggies that we have shown in the recipe, you can add the veggies that you are interested in.
We want to provide you with the nutritional information of the easy chicken a la king recipe so that even if you are on a diet, you will know what can I get from this recipe and how much you can eat according to your diet.
- Calories: 379kcal
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 16g
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 29g
- Cholesterol: 157m
- Sodium: 488mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 6g
- Vitamin A: 1940IU
- Vitamin C: 43.7mg
- Calcium: 106mg
- Potassium: 465mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Chicken Florentine Pasta
If you do not have time to cook the recipe you can make it ahead and store or if you want to store your leftover chicken a la king recipe, you can store it with the below process. Let us look into it and learn how to store this chicken a la king.
- If you are making ahead or if you are storing leftovers, first let the chicken a la king dish cool at room temperature completely.
- Then, place this chicken in an airtight container.
- Then if you want to store it for some days, you can just place it in the refrigerator which can help you to store it for 3-4 days.
- But if you want to store it for months, then place the completely cooled dish into freezer-safe containers and place it in the freezer, so that you can place it for upto 3 months.
Once when you want to eat this recipe, if you stored it in the refrigerator or freezer, just remove it and reheat it on the skillet on the stove, and have it, otherwise, even you can use the microwave to reheat it quickly. If you kept it in the freezer, just place it in the fridge overnight and follow reheating process.
FAQs on Grandma’s Chicken A La King
Some of the pre-cooked chicken options that we can use in this chicken a la king recipe are
- Rotisserie Chicken from the grocery store.
- Oven baked Chicken
- Cooked chicken in a pressure cooker
- Boiled Chicken at home and shredded.
- Leftover chicken that you have on hand.
- Frozen Cooked Chicken
- Quick Skillet Chicken
You can serve when you make this chicken a la king with rice, pasta, toast, biscuits, and many others.
Yes, of course, we can reduce the calories than that we have in this chicken a la king recipe by leaving the egg yolks and heavy cream in case you are using them in the recipe.
If you dont have pre-cooked or store-bought chicken, you can just boil the chicken in a saucepan with some salt and chicken and then wait until the chicken is cooled down and shred the chicken.
Yes, you can freeze the chicken a la king recipe by placing it in the freezer for upto 3 months.
We as a team desire that the recipe we have shared about chicken a la king is interesting to make for you. Try this recipe tonight for dinner and share your experience and how the recipe turned out in the comment section below. Even if you have any doubts feel free to comment. If you like this recipe share it with your friends and family members.
For more interesting recipes like Chicken Recipes for Thanksgiving , get in touch with our website and bookmark it for more latest updates.