Can Peanut Butter Go Bad: Peanut butter is a popular spread with a creamy texture and rich taste. In most kitchens, it is a common staple. Do you have peanut butter at home that it has been opened many days ago and forgot about it? Then when you see that you may get some questions like how long does peanut butter last? can peanut butter go bad and is it safe to eat after expiry? or maybe your peanut butter is beyond the printed date.
If you want to know the answers to all these questions, let us look into the article, as we have discussed the complete information about peanut butter like how long it will last, whether can PB go bad, spoilage signs, and many more. Start reading to know more!!
- Does Peanut Butter Go Bad?
- How to Tell If Peanut Butter Is Bad?
- How Long Does Peanut Butter Last?
- How To Store Peanut Butter
- Does Peanut Butter Need To Be Refrigerated?
- Nutritional Facts of Peanut Butter
- Can we get sick by eating expired or old peanut butter?
- Are there bugs in peanut butter?
- Can you eat 3-year-old peanut butter?
Does Peanut Butter Go Bad?
Yes, peanut butter will go bad. But its low moisture content and high-fat levels give a long shelf life. You can leave it at room temperature. As we have fat in the peanut butter you need to complete it fastly, otherwise, the fat from the peanut will eventually go rancid. Once it is in that stage, it is time to toss it out. And this rancid peanut butter will have a bitter, sharp, and off taste instead of soft. Once its taste is not good slowly you can smell a weird odor like nail polish remover smell.
Eating this rancid peanut butter is not safe but when you taste a spoonful of peanut butter you will not get sick.
How to Tell If Peanut Butter Is Bad?
Let us look into the spoilage signs of peanut butter, as if you leave it for more months without storing it properly your PB will get destroyed and it will not be good to eat.
- As we have a lot of fat with a minimal amount of water in peanut butter the bacteria and fungi, all these will not have the opportunity to live and grow the peanut butter.
- If the oxidation process takes place in your peanut butter you may see a change in taste but it doesn’t mean that it has gone bad.
- And as peanut butter is creamy and soft in texture, if the peanut butter goes bad or rancid you will see there is a change in texture.
- If you store the peanut butter for a long time, you may see the separation of oil that was floating on the top, but if you can mix it and eat it, it is not a bad sign.
- If you find the smell and flavor that have been changed drastically, just discard it as it is always better to be safe than sorry.
How Long Does Peanut Butter Last?
When you buy peanut butter it will come with a ” best by date” or expiry date. Usually, if you see the shelf life of peanut butter is 9 months, and if you have any preservatives in it, it may stay fresh for 2 more months. Expiry date or use by or best by date is normally given to say that the best quality of peanut butter that you can enjoy in a certain period of time. An unopened bottle of peanut butter will stay for years even if it is past the expiry date.
|Peanut Butter (Unopened)||“Best By” + 6 – 12 months||Not Recommended|
|Peanut Butter (Opened)||“Best By”||“Best By” + 3 – 6 months|
|Homemade Peanut Butter||1 – 3 months||Not Recommended|
How To Store Peanut Butter
By storing the peanut butter properly, you can use peanut butter for a long time. We will look into some storage tips to store it for a long time. Follow them carefully.
- Store peanut butter in a cool, dry place and keep the PB away from the heat elements.
- If it is unopened or opened you can store it at room temperature.
- When you open the bottle, seal the lid tightly after every use.
- If you want you can also store it in the refrigerator so that peanut butter retains its quality. Because when you have opened peanut butter it slowly loses its flavor.
Nutrition Information (Typical Values)
Number of serves per pack – Approx. 12
Per Serve: 30 g (2 Tbsp)
|Nutrients||Per 100 g||% RDA^/Serve|
|Total Sugars (g)||10.2|
|Added Sugars (g)||6.3||4%|
|Dietary Fibre (g)||8.6|
|Total Fat (g)||49.4||22%|
|Saturated Fat (g)||9.2||12%|
|Monounsaturated Fat (g)||23.9|
|Polyunsaturated Fat (g)||14|
|Trans Fat (g)||0.01||< 1%|
^% of an Average Adult’s Recommended Dietary Allowance (2000 kcal diet)
Does Peanut Butter Need To Be Refrigerated?
Yes, you can refrigerate the peanut butter, but there is no need of refrigerating peanut butter. But it will be helpful for you when you want to store the peanut butter for a long time, or if you are struggling with oil separation. And when you place it in the fridge, keep it upside down so that your peanut butter will not be difficult to spread.
Nutritional Facts of Peanut Butter
Here is the following nutritional information that was provided by the USDA for 2 tablespoons.
- Copper: 43% of RDI
- Manganese: 28% of RDI
- Vitamin E: 18% of RDI
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine): 17% of RDI
- Zinc: 10% of RDI
- Vitamin B3 (niacin): 25% of RDI
- Iron: 22% of RDI
- Folate: 20% of RDI
- Potassium: 18% of RDI
- Magnesium: 14% of RDI
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid): 11% of RDI
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine): 9% of RDI
FAQs on Does Peanut Butter Go Bad
1. Can we get sick by eating expired or old peanut butter?
No, as peanut butter get rancid it will not make you sick as we don’t have any moisture content in it you will not get any mold growth from peanut butter.
2. Are there bugs in peanut butter?
In peanut butter, we have 30 insect fragments per 100 grams of yummy spreadable peanut butter.
3. Can you eat 3-year-old peanut butter?
Yes, if it is an unopened bottle of peanut butter it is perfectly good to eat.
In a Nutshell
Hope that the information that was provided above on can peanut butter go bad is useful and beneficial for you. Still if you any assistance about this you can comment to us in the comment section and you can share the information with others if you like it. Stay connected to our site for interesting updates and bookmark our site.