How Long Does Mozzarella Cheese Last Unfrigerated?: Mozzarella cheese is a sliceable curd cheese originating in Italy. It is used to make special homemade pizzas and lasagna. Have you bought mozzarella cheese from the store and used some portion of it?
Now, you must wonder can mozzarella cheese expire? If yes, then what is the mozzarella cheese expiry date and how long does unopened mozzarella cheese last in fridge after expiration?
Keep reading to get clarity on does mozzarella go bad, whether can I eat expired mozzarella cheese, how long does mozzarella last in freezer, storage tips and how to tell if mozzarella cheese is bad, and interesting facts about the cheese.
- How Long Does Fresh Mozzarella Last and How to Store It
- How To Tell If Mozzarella Is Bad?
- Can Mozzarella Go Bad?
- How Long Does Mozzarella Loaf Last and How to Store It?
- How To Tell If Mozzarella Loaf Is Bad?
- Interesting Facts About Mozzarella Cheese
- How to tell if mozzarella cheese is bad?
- What happens if you eat expired mozzarella cheese?
- How long does mozzarella cheese last in the refrigerator?
- What is loaf mozzarella?
- Can you eat out of date mozzarella?
- What to do if fresh mozzarella cheese left out for hours?
- How long does vacuum sealed mozzarella cheese last?
Fresh mozzarella cheese retains its quality for 1 week after the best by date on the label. Once the cheese package is opened, it will last about 3 to 7 days based on the best storage precautions.
Actually, fresh mozzarella cheese doesn’t have a high life span. It lasts for 3 to 4 weeks from the date it is prepared. Do you know How long does Mozzarella last unopened after its expiration date? How long can mozzarella cheese stay in the fridge
The unopened expired mozzarella cheese shelf life is 7 days when stored in the refrigerator and it will last for 5 to 6 months in the freezer. While opened mozzarella cheese’s lifespan is 3 to 8 days in the fridge and about 2 to 3 months in the freezer.
|Type of Mozzarella Cheese||Lifespan|
|Unopened mozzarella cheese||Best-by + 7 days||5 to 6 months|
|Opened mozzarella cheese||3 to 8 days||2 to 3 months|
Now, you know how long is mozzarella cheese good for unopened, and how long is mozzarella good for Opened. So store it carefully and use mozzarella cheese before expiration.
The 2 simple ways to store the fresh mozzarella cheese in the fridge are given here:
Submerged in water or brine: If your mozzarella cheese has liquid at the bottom, then don’t discard the liquid. It will keep the cheese moist for a longer time. Also, keep the vacuum-packed mozzarella cheese in water. Place the container in the fridge.
Here are signs to tell that your fresh mozzarella cheese has gone bad.
- Mold: If you notice any mold growth on the surface of the cheese, then it should be discarded. Usually, mold grows faster when the cheese is not covered in liquid. In this case, cutting the spoiled area and eating the remaining portion is not safe. The mold can also be in the form of discolorations on the surface.
- Smell or Taste: Before adding mozzarella to your recipes, just check the smell and taste of it. If it smells and tastes sour, then it will not give the best taste but won’t affect your health.
- Dried: If your opened mozzarella cheese has dried out, then its quality has degraded.
Yes, mozzarella cheese goes bad after 8 days in the refrigerator. As it is a dairy product, it will go rancid quickly. Also, because it is a soft cheese, mozzarella has a short lifespan when compared to hard cheeses.
But how long is unopened mozzarella good for depends on the different factors including the storage tips. If you leave the unopened or opened pack on the kitchen floor, then it goes bad fast.
Bacteria will start to grow faster at room temperature. It will go bad within 2 hours at room temperature. To store it for a longer time, always store it in the refrigerator or even in the freezer.
The unopened mozzarella loaf lasts for about 2 to 3 weeks after the expiration date. After opening the package, its quality will last for 2 to 3 weeks.
Mozzarella sticks last for a longer time when compared with fresh mozzarella. It will last for 2 to 3 months from the packaging date.
Once the package is opened, it should be wrapped in a plastic cover so that it doesn’t dry out quickly. Use the original plastic wrap to store for a longer time. Otherwise, use a cheese wrap and make sure it is wrapped perfectly. A plastic bag or freezer bag with a seal will help you.
To confirm that mozzarella loaf is bad, check the following list of things.
- Check the Smell: If the cheese smells sour or has any bad smell, then it should be discarded.
- Look for Mold or Other Discolourations on the Surface: If there is a small spot on the surface, then cut it out and eat the rest. If it is quite large, then throw the whole cheese outside.
- Consider Storage Time: If the loaf of cheese is kept in the fridge for 6 weeks, then it is not safe to eat it.
The cheesy facts about mozzarella cheese are along the lines:
- The fresh mozzarella cheese is in white color, but it may also be slightly yellow, based on the animal’s diet.
- Mozzarella cheese is produced from milk obtained through cows or water buffalos.
- The common use of mozzarella cheese is on pizzas and lasagna.
- Mozzarella cheese has high amounts of moisture, so it is important that it should be consumed quickly after it is made.
- The word mozzarella was first discovered in 1570.
- Mozzarella cheese is often rolled up into balls of 80 to 100 grams.
- A 100-gram ball of mozzarella cheese has 22 grams of fat and 22 grams of protein.
- Mozzarella cheese with less moisture content can be refrigerated for up to 1 month.
FAQs on Can Mozzarella Cheese Expire | Mozzarella Shelf Life
You can determine that your mozzarella cheese is bad by checking its smell, signs of mold, taste, sniffing it, looking out for dryness, and observing the package for abnormalities.
Eating expired mozzarella makes you sick because it involves bacteria and other pathogens. The symptoms after consuming bad mozzarella cheese are nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, etc.
The opened mozzarella cheese lasts for 5 days when refrigerated and unopened cheese will last for 7 days if kept in the fridge.
Fresh loaf mozzarella is a traditional and natural mozzarella cheese that is made from 100% whole cow milk. It is best for shredding, melting, and slicing.
Yes, You can eat expired mozzarella cheese if you do not find any signs of spoilage.
If you left mozzarella cheese out for 2 or more hours then discard it immediately.
The unopened & salted vacuum sealed mozzarella cheese last up to four to six weeks from the date of manufacture. If they are opened then it stays good for 4-7 days in the refrigerator.
Final Words –
We are hoping that the data given on How Long Does Mozzarella Cheese Last & Does Mozzarella Cheese Expire useful for you. Fresh mozzarella cheese is a dairy product that will spoil quickly. If you want to know about any other products, then comment to us so that we will try to add information. Stay tuned to get interesting updates.