How Long Do Tortillas Last: Have you bought home a bunch of tortillas and have seen the pack of tortillas is already at home? Then, when you see them you may get this question, how long do tortillas last, and how do store them for a long time? for that information, you can check out our article, as we have discussed the shelf life, storage tips, spoilage signs, and many more. By following the tips and tricks which we have shown you can use your tortillas without wasting.
Just check out and find out all the answers to your questions. Scroll down to know more!!
- What are Tortillas?
- How Long Do Tortillas Last?
- Do Tortillas Go Bad?
- How To Tell If Tortillas are Bad?
- How To Store Tortillas?
- Can You Freeze Tortillas?
- Do Tortillas Need to Be Refrigerated?
- Can You Eat Expired Tortillas?
- Interesting Facts About Tortillas
- Do I have to refrigerate the tortillas after opening?
- Is it Ok to eat moldy tortillas?
- How long can you keep unopened flour tortillas?
What are Tortillas?
Tortillas are Mexican food, which is a thin, round, and flatbread that was prepared from cornmeal or wheat flour. Corn tortillas are traditional compared to wheat tortillas. The taste of the tortillas may look different based on the locations. Tortillas are used to make burritos, flautas, tostadas, enchiladas, soup, and many more. Tortillas are served as an accompaniment to soups, stews, and meat.
How Long Do Tortillas Last?
If you buy the tortillas at the store they will come with “best before date” or “expiry date” on the package. Generally, tortillas will last for 5 to 7 days after the best date at room temperature. But we can store it for a more long time if you store it properly in a refrigerator or freezer. As we already mentioned above, corn tortillas will have a longer shelf life compared to wheat tortillas.
Not to waste your time and not to get confused, we have provided the shelf life of different types of tortillas on the table. Check them, so that you can plan how to store them accordingly.
|Corn tortillas||6 to 8 months||7 to 10 days||Up to 2 months|
|Whole wheat tortillas||6 to 8 months||1 week||Up to 1 month|
|Flour tortillas||6 to 8 months||1 week||Up to 1 month|
|Spinach tortillas||6 to 8 months||1 week||Up to 1 month|
|Homemade tortillas||6 to 8 months||2 to 3 days||Up to 1 week|
Do Tortillas Go Bad?
Yes, as the tortilla is baked good, tortillas will go bad. But there will be a little time difference between storebought and homemade tortillas. There will be more longevity for store-bought tortillas. And also as we have many types of tortillas like wheat tortillas, corn tortillas, and spinach tortillas,…so, there will be differences in expiration dates too.
To avoid the spoilage of tortillas, just always buy fresh tortillas. Because if you store tortillas for too long time, they will become stiff and crumbly instead of pliable.
How To Tell If Tortillas are Bad?
As we have tortillas with the best by date on the label which is store-bought, you need to follow them. The main problem you have with the tortillas is they will look good even if they are rotten. However, we will see the signs to check that tortillas have gone bad.
- If you see any unusual spots that are formed on tortillas then it is a sign that they have gone bad, so it is better to discard them.
- And another important sign that you can know tortillas are bad is by smell, when you smell tortillas if the smell is unpleasant and bad, then discard the tortilla.
- As the tortillas should be warm, for storing them for a long time we keep them in the freezer, when the temperature changes there will be a change in texture if you see this then toss the tortilla out.
- This sign may rarely happen, if you see that the tortilla was already bitten by a mouse, ant or insect then throw it.
- As tortilla is made with dough, this should be kept away from moisture. If you see that the tortillas are moist then throw them away.
- This is also one of the easy signs and important, if you see any mold growth on the tortillas then don’t eat them as they are gone bad.
How To Store Tortillas?
The primary reason why tortillas will fail to stay good for longer is because of improper storage. If you store the tortillas in the right way, you can use them for a long. Let us look into those storage tips below.
- If the tortillas are bought from the store, you can easily keep them in the refrigerator or freezer. And they should have the same constant temperature and also if possible you wrap them with aluminum foil.
- And also you can store them at room temperature if you are thinking to complete them within a few days.
- And store the homemade tortillas in the refrigerator or freezer but there is a certain process.
- After preparing the tortillas you need to wait until they become cool then wrap each tortilla with aluminum foil or wrap and then store it in the freezer.
Can You Freeze Tortillas?
Yes, you can freeze the tortillas and you can store them for 6-8 months more than expected. When tortillas are stored at low temperatures, after thawing they will taste fresh, soft, and tasty. Always place a divider between two tortillas before freezing them so that you will not get problems after thawing them. When you freeze the tortillas you freeze a bunch of tortillas in separate bags, so that you not need to defrost all the tortillas at a time.
But by freezing the tortillas with their original packaging you may feel the change in texture. So, once after buying it remove them from the pack and place them in an airtight container or in freezer bags. If you want to defrost the frozen tortillas just heat them in the microwave by setting the timer.
Do Tortillas Need to Be Refrigerated?
No, it is not necessary to keep the tortillas in the refrigerator. If your tortillas are kept in the refrigerator in the store, then you keep them in the refrigerator. And also if you want to store the tortillas beyond the expiry date then keep them in the refrigerator or freezer. Always better to keep the homemade tortillas in the refrigerator if you are not using them on the same day as we don’t use any preservatives at home.
Can You Eat Expired Tortillas?
Yes, you can eat the expired tortillas if they are not having any visual signs of going bad. The date printed on the tortilla pack is not the expiry date but it is a sell-by date. Even some sellers will tell us that tortillas can be fresh for up to a month if we keep them in the fridge. It all depends on the brand and storage.
Interesting Facts About Tortillas
Here are the best interesting facts that we are going to share with you about tortillas. Just look into them.
- The word tortilla comes from the Spanish word “torta”, which means round cake.
- February 24th is National Tortilla Chip Day.
- The typical Mexican family of four consumes more than 2 pounds of tortillas each day.
- In Mexican, we have 3 colors of maize dough for making tortillas, they are white, yellow, and blue maize.
FAQs on How Long Do Tortillas Last
1. Do I have to refrigerate the tortillas after opening?
According to the seller’s instructions, the tortillas which were opened can be kept at room temperature for a few days. Refrigerating is always the best option for not going bad.
2. Is it Ok to eat moldy tortillas?
No, you are probably not going to die from eating mold tortillas. But, it will definitely affect the healthy immune system and also you will experience nausea or vomiting.
3. How long can you keep unopened flour tortillas?
Store-bought tortillas which are unopened are typically retained for 2 weeks to a month depending on the brand.
In a Nutshell
Hope that the information that we have provided on how long do tortillas last had shed some light on you. Tortillas can go bad like any other food made of dough, but you can prolong their shelf life for months if you store them properly. Still, if you have any doubts you can comment to us in the comment section. Stay connected with the website canfoodgobad.com for more interesting updates.