Can Dates Go Bad?: If you are a newbie to buying dates you might have a bunch of questions running through your head like What do dates look like, Can Dates Go Bad, How Long Do Dates Last, and Tips to Store Dates? How to tell when dates are bad?
This article is for you as we have got them all covered here with a clear explanation. We have given info related to What Exactly are Dates, How to know if dates are bad, the Risks of Consuming Expired Dates, and whether you can freeze dates or not in the later sections.
You can also know some of the Fun Facts about Dates in the later modules. The shelf life of Dates varies from one type to another and it is a bit complicated. In this article of ours, we tried to summarize the ways to store dates, signs of spoilage, and how to tell if they are bad.
- What are Dates?
- Can Dates Go Bad? How To Tell If Dates Are Bad?
- How Long Do Dates Last?
- How To Store Dates? Do You Refrigerate Dates?
- Can You Freeze Dates?
- The Risk of Consuming Expired Dates
- Interesting Facts about Dates That Will Surprise You
- What Do Bad Dates Fruit Look Like?
- Do Dried Dates Go Bad?
- Do Dates Go Off If Not Refrigerated?
- How long do Dates Last at Room Temperature?
- How do you know dates are bad?
- Do dates need to be refrigerated?
Dates are sweet fruits that can be eaten either raw or dried. They are a good source of natural sugar and many supermarkets sell date syrup and date sugar as a sweetener. They can be used in almost any recipe of yours to bring sweetness such as pie, salads, biscuits, and cakes.
Irrespective of the occasion Middle East People used to have them on their tables. Dates become sweeter and chewer as they become dry. After knowing the meaning of date, let’s check how to tell if a date is bad, can dates go bad in the fridge, do dates go bad in the heat, Should I eat expired dates fruit,
Yes, just like any other fruit Dates do go bad. Usually, they will have a long shelf life and you can eat them before they spoil. if you store them in the Fridge they will stay a few more months compared to the ones stored in the Pantry.
Dates do get rotten over time and you can’t keep dates fresh forever. They will eventually damage or spoil after a certain point. So consume them before they start to degrade in terms of quality. If you feel dates gone bad, then see the signs of Spoilage and decide whether to toss them or not.
To know more about how do you know when dates are bad, check the hints for how to know if dates have gone bad from below:
- Turned Darker or Became Moldy: Darkening of the fruit slightly is okay and it is up to you to eat it further or not. If you see any mold growing it’s time for the dates to go.
- Off Smell: Usually, dates won’t have any strong aroma. But if your ones started smelling off suddenly then it is a sign that your dates have gone wrong.
- The Package is Infested: If you leave your Package in the Pantry for a while now and your kitchen has a history of Pantry Bugs they might get into the Dates Bag too. if you notice any larvae, insects, and eggs on the dates they are done for.
The Shelf Life of Dates depends on the variety they are and how ripen they are. When stored in the Pantry Dates will last about 1-3 months and if kept in the Fridge they might last about 6-12 months. It is almost impossible to decide and tell the exact shelf life of your dates as they depend on several factors.
To know how long your dates will stay of good quality you can see the label on the package. Just like raisins dates can be used even after the best by date.
|1 – 3 months
|6 – 12 months
Refer to the next module and learn how to store dates fresh. Do dates go bad in the fridge? If I didn’t preserve them properly.
To store Dates, you can go by three options. It’s up to your individual choices to decide on which method to rely on to store your Dates effectively without losing the texture and quality. All of them are explained beneath
Pantry or Kitchen Cabinet: Storing the Dates at Room Temperature is an ideal way to preserve dates. However, while keeping them in the Pantry or Kitchen Cabinet make sure to keep them away from direct sources of heat or sunlight. This method works well for ripe dates and you can store them for about 1-3 months.
Fridge: If you prefer to store Dates long-term storing them in the Fridge can be a great way. After you open the package transfer them to a resealable freezer bag. By doing so, they will not catch any smells or even stop from getting dry out. Ripe Dates can keep up to 12 months in the Fridge.
Freezing: To Store, your Dates for a Prolonged period, keeping them in the Freezer is a great alternative. However, you need to keep in mind that proper wrapping is needed to freeze Dates. To Freeze Dates for Short Time Freezer Bags can be perfectly fine and you can avoid freezer burns.
To Keep them for the long term try double wrapping an aluminum foil before shifting them to bags. Divide the Dates into portions so that you don’t have to take the entire packaging to take only a few. When it comes to thawing keeping them a night before can be quite safe.
Yes, you can Freeze Dates quite quickly and easily. If you bought dates in bulk simply keep them in a bag and store them in the Freezer. Frozen Dates can last up to 3 years without losing their freshness and quality.
- To Freeze the Dates that are kept in the Fridge for a long time shift them to an air-tight container or even use zip-lock bags, mason jars, or glass jars.
Whenever you decide to thaw the dates keep them out of the freezer a few hours before you use them. If you are in a hurry you can simply keep the bowl of dates in a hot water bowl to speed up the defrosting process and enjoy the dates.
Remember not to use a Microwave to defrost the Dates as they will alter the texture of the Dates.
Dates belong to a category of fruit that you can eat even after months of storage. They can be consumed if they seem to be okay. There aren’t any proven studies that say eating expired dates will cause health risks. It’s just the ones that are stored for too long can be too tough, hard to chew, and become extremely sweet.
However, remember that dates are rich in fiber, sugars, and potassium. So, consume them within the limit so that you don’t have to suffer from any digestive issues and hyperkalemia. Certain people will develop allergies to dates and may even get skin rash, watery nose, or eyes stinging.
Serving Size (30 g)
Serving per container about 17
|Approx. Value per 100g
|% RDA per Serving
|Total Sugars (g)
|Saturated Fat (g)
|Dietary Fiber (g)
*%RDA is derived from a 2000-calorie diet. Your daily allowance may vary depending on your calorie needs.
If you are wondering what could be the benefits, and nutritional value that one would get from Eating Dates then this section is for you. They are along the lines
- Dates are the fruits that have the least moisture content and are naturally dehydrated.
- With time Dates begin to release sugars to the bottom of the surface and many people often consider it as mold but it is sugar in real.
- These are quite popular in the Middle East and have been known for thousands of years.
- Dates are rich in fiber and contain around 60 to 70% of sugar.
- You get essential nutrients like Potassium, Calcium, Sodium, and Phosphorous.
- They are known as energy-giving fruits.
- Dates come with amino acids which stimulate the process of digestion.
- They are also known to improve brain health and reduce the risk of brain inflammation and oxidative stress.
FAQs on Do Dates Expire – Do Dates Go Bad In Fridge?
If you ever notice your Dates developed any mold or became dark in color, it is a sign that your Dates have gone bad.
Yes, Dried Dates can go bad if not stored properly. But the chances of spoiling are quite unlikely as they have a longer shelf life.
Dates usually stay up to 1-3 months even if stored at room temperature. However, refrigerating them will help them increase their shelf life.
Dates last for around 1-3 months if left in the Pantry.
A primary indicator to identify the spoiled dates is Smell. If you get the smell of off-putting or rotten, toss them right away.
Not likely, dates can be stored in the pantry for a longer time with proper storage.
We hope the knowledge shared on our page related to Can Dates Go Bad has helped you clear your doubts. If you have any other doubts left unanswered feel free to reach us via the comment section so that we can guide you. Keep in touch with us to avail latest updates on Can Oranges Go Bad and Can Raisins Go Bad, etc.