Can Cinnamon Go Bad?: Cinnamon is a spice that comes from the bark of the cinnamon tree. Most people add this to get aroma and flavor for their dishes. So there is a chance of cinnamon stock in your storage, if yes, you are wondering can cinnamon go bad or expire? how long does it last?
Cinnamon is good for health and has different advantages. Here we are offering the data like how to store cinnamon long-term, how long can cinnamon sticks last in the water, what to do with expired cinnamon powder, and so on. In stores, cinnamon is made available in two forms i.e cinnamon sticks, ground cinnamon or cinnamon powder. Have a look at the all parameters of both powder and sticks.
- Can Cinnamon Go Bad?
- How To Tell If Cinnamon Is Bad?
- How To Store Cinnamon?
- How Long Does Cinnamon Last?
- Can You Freeze Cinnamon?
- Interesting Facts About Cinnamon
- Does cinnamon have health benefits?
- Can cinnamon sticks get moldy?
- What to do with expired cinnamon powder?
- Can expired cinnamon make you sick?
Can Cinnamon Go Bad?
Cinnamon can’t go bad like other spices, but it loses aroma and flavor over time. The proper storage conditions might help to keep the ground cinnamon or cinnamon sticks quality for more periods.
When you feel your cinnamon powder is spoiled, then don’t add it to your recipes or drinks. If you notice any signs of spoilage of cinnamon, then discard it immediately.
How To Tell If Cinnamon Is Bad?
Cinnamon spices last for a long time but they don’t stay good indefinitely. It is not good to cook with cinnamon that has a bad taste. There are a few tips to tell if cinnamon sticks are spoiled. They are smell, taste, touch, pantry bugs and mold.
How To Tell If Cinnamon Sticks Are Spoiled?
If the smell and flavor of the sticks are fine, then you have to follow the below guidelines.
Take one cinnamon stick from the pack and grate it. Rub the powder and check the smell and taste. If the cinnamon flavor still exists, then it is okay to consume. If it tastes fading, then add more cinnamon to your dishes to get the flavor. But if you feel nothing, then throw the sticks outside.
Ground Cinnamon Spoilage Signs
Here are the cases where cinnamon is actually spoiled and the time to discard it.
- When you Notice dead or alive, eggs of pantry bugs or insects inside the powder bag.
- The powder forms wet clumps when it meets the moisture or water. Over time, the clumps even become mold.
- Adding any not-dried spices or food products contaminates the spice.
- If cinnamon powder’s taste and flavor are bad. the way of checking the aroma is the same for sticks and ground cinnamon.
How To Store Cinnamon?
Cinnamon should always stored properly to retain its flavor, and smell for more period. Store an unopened pack in a cool and dry place. A kitchen cupboard is the best option. Once the spice pack is opened, transfer them into a resealable container or jar and store it away from fresh air.
Store cinnamon sticks in an airtight bag in a cool and dry environment. The bag should be placed in a spice drawer. It should be protected from bugs, heat, moisture, and any other strong odors.
The unopened ground cinnamon lasts for 2 years. Make sure that the pack is sealed properly so that you can avoid mold contamination or bug infestations. Always store the powder in an airtight container in a space that is not too hot or too cold.
Don’t place the cinnamon powder in the fridge or freezer. The extreme heat of cold will make it lose its potency.
How Long Does Cinnamon Last?
Cinnamon is available in two forms ie ground cinnamon or cinnamon sticks. Both last for a longer period if stored correctly. You are advised to store cinnamon in an airtight container so that it will not lose flavor.
The opened cinnamon sticks’ shelf life is 2 years and unopened sticks last for 4 years. The better storage periods are useful for the sticks to retain the flavor better than the ground variety.
Because of its longer shelf life, sticks are the best choice if you use cinnamon sparingly. It might last 1 year past the best-by date.
How Long Does Ground Cinnamon Last?
The unopened ground cinnamon lasts for 2 years and opened lasts for 1 year in the pantry. But it will maintain the best quality for 6 months after the expiration date. The cinnamon pack comes with a best-by date on the label which is not the expiration date. It is an estimation of how long the taste is good.
|Unopened ground cinnamon||2 years|
|Opened ground cinnamon||1 year|
|Unopened cinnamon sticks||4 years|
|Opened cinnamon sticks||2 years|
Can You Freeze Cinnamon?
It is not recommended to freeze cinnamon. But you can choose to freeze the spice when you buy in huge quantities. As cinnamon is sensitive to heat and cold environments, it is not the best choice.
Freezing cinnamon sticks or ground cinnamon leads to loss of flavor and taste and mold growth. So, when you have large quantities of cinnamon, store them in an airtight container.
Interesting Facts About Cinnamon
The fun facts about cinnamon are listed here:
- Cinnamon comes from the bark of the cinnamon tree.
- The cinnamon tree can grow up to 60 feet.
- The 2 most popular types of cinnamon are: Ceylon and Cassia.
- Cinnamon sticks are also called quills.
- Cinnamon is a powerful antioxidant that aids in controlling blood sugar.
- It compliments both sweet and salty dishes (and drinks).
- Cinnamon is high in fiber and calcium which helps improve colon health.
- It also contains other minerals such as iron and magnesium.
- Cinnamon is often used in traditional medicine.
- Cinnamon also has many alternative benefits such as for beauty products and the house.
FAQs on Do Cinnamon Go Bad
1. Does cinnamon have health benefits?
Yes, cinnamon has several health benefits such as it lowers blood sugar levels, and reduces heart disease.
2. Can cinnamon sticks get moldy?
Yes, cinnamon sticks get moldy when it touches moisture or water or fresh air.
3. What to do with expired cinnamon powder?
The ways to use expired cinnamon spices are grilling, fresh your carpet, making beautiful easter eggs, growing strong healthy plants and so on.
4. Can expired cinnamon make you sick?
No, expired cinnamon will not harm you.
In a Nutshell
Hope the information we have shared regarding can cinnamon go bad, is useful and beneficial for you. As cinnamon has several health benefits and is a costly spice, no one wants to waste it. The best storage increases the cinnamon shelf life. If you have any other doubts, you can comment to us in the comment section. Bookmark our site for more interesting updates on the food products.