How to Store Zucchini?: Zucchini is a bumper crop and gives great yields for framers and gardeners in summer. We often buy them in large quantities as our eyes get attracted to them and end up throwing them after spoilage. If you don’t want to do so and are looking for ways How to Store Zucchini to avoid Spoilage or at least minimize them then this place can e perfect for you. In this quick guide, we will explain how long Zucchini Last, the Signs of Spoilage & When to eat them or discard them, etc. We even explained the Interesting Facts You Might Know about Zucchini, and How to Freeze Zucchini all explained clearly.
- How to Store Zucchini?
- How Long Does Zucchini Last?
- How to Tell if Zucchini is Bad?
- How to Freeze Zucchini?
- Which Zucchini Stays Fresh Longer?
- Interesting Facts about Zucchini
- What is the best way to store Zucchini?
- Should zucchini be peeled?
- Should you wash zucchini?
How to Store Zucchini?
Keep Zucchinis in a plastic bag in the crisper drawer. In case of any water buildup in the bag transfer it to a perforated one or simply open the top. If you want to extend the storage cut the Zucchinis Up and blanch them. If you want to store the Zucchini in a Fridge all you need is a Plastic Bag. If you want to finish the Zucchini in 3-5 days skip the plastic bag and better keep it in the crisper drawer. Wash the Zucchini only when you are about to use it.
When it comes to storing Pre cut Zucchini and Leftovers you can keep them in an airtight container and then transfer it to Fridge. If you plan to finish Zucchini in a day or two you can place it on the counter. Remember the quality of the Zucchini deteriorates at a faster rate when kept at Room Temperature.
How Long Does Zucchini Last?
Zucchini will stay up 1 to 2 weeks in the Fridge and stays around 3-4 days at room temperatures. On the other hand, cooked Zucchini or Leftovers will stay up to 3-4 days. To Make sure your Zucchini stays fresh for a long time follow certain points while picking them. Choose Zucchini that is small and blemish-free. Pick the ones that are having glossy skin as they tend to have small seeds. Check if the veggie you are choosing is heavy for its size. See the following table to know the shelf life of Zucchini kept in different storages.
|Zucchini (whole)||3 – 4 days||1 – 2 weeks|
|Zucchini (cut)||3 – 4 days|
|Zucchini (cooked, leftovers)||3 – 4 days|
How to Tell if Zucchini is Bad?
To check if Zucchini is safe to eat or not follow the simple guidelines listed below. They are along the lines
- Weight and Firmness: See the weight of the Zucchini and if you feel it is soft & hollow it no longer has water content. In that case, you better discard it.
- Skin: Signs like Wrinkling, Damaged Spots are okay. If the rot has taken over the entire veggie better toss it off than use it.
- Flesh: If you have kept the Zucchini in the Fridge for over a couple of days crosscheck once before you eat. If you notice any kind of mold growth get rid of it.
- Smell: If you sense any sour or another kind of smell better throw it away. If it smells like sausage maybe it is because you didn’t wrap it tightly and kept it next to wrapped sausage. Next time store it properly while keeping it next to smelly foods.
How to Freeze Zucchini?
Freezing Zucchini is a simple process but can be time taking at the same time. It is due to blanching so that the veggie retains its texture and taste. Check the following instructions to see the steps on how to freeze Zucchini.
- Preparation of Veggies: Firstly, wash and cut the Squash available into half-inch slices.
- Blanch the Zucchini: Boil a Pot of water and transfer the veggies into this water. Make sure to keep the water boiling at all times and keep the zucchini in water for around 3 minutes. Then let it cool in a pot of cool water for 3 more minutes.
- Drain the Zucchini: Now drain the water by keeping it on a towel or paper towel for 15 mins so that excess water gets removed.
- Portion and Package: Now spilt the veggies into smaller portions and transfer them into a freezer bag or container. You can add the labels to find them useful.
- Freeze Everything: You can store the frozen zucchini in the freezer for several months without losing the quality.
Which Zucchini Stays Fresh Longer?
If you are picking Zucchini from regular Supermarkets or Farmer’s Market make sure to get the ones that are small in size and that don’t have wrinkles. Larger Zucchini spoil fast due to the heavy water content in them. See if there is any stem attached to the Zucchini while buying as they indicate they are Fresh.
Interesting Facts about Zucchini
Below is the list of Interesting Facts you need to know with regards to Zucchini. They are along the lines
- Zucchini is also known as courgette and is a variety of summer squash.
- Zucchini is an excellent source of fiber, vitamins A, C, and B9.
- Dark Colored Zucchini includes a greater amount of nutrients.
- Zucchini’s benefits include improved digestion and eye health and slowed aging.
- It can be used to bake into Bread just like Banana Bread.
- Zucchini can be consumed raw or used in several recipes such as in salads, casseroles, and bread.
FAQs on Best Ways to Store Zucchini
1. What is the best way to store Zucchini?
The best way to store Zucchini is to keep it in Fridge if you are planning to finish it soon.
2. Should zucchini be peeled?
No, there is no need to peel Zucchini’s Skin as it is a big source of nutrition.
3. Should you wash zucchini?
No, you shouldn’t wash zucchini unless and until you are ready to use it.
Hope the knowledge shed on our page with regards to How to Store Zucchini has been beneficial to you. If you need any further clarification do let us know regarding storage techniques, shelf life, freezing related queries do drop us your comments through the comment section and we will assist you. Stay tuned with us to get the latest updates on How Long Do Beets Last and Can Asparagus Go Bad, etc.