How Long Does Cauliflower Last?: Basically, cauliflower comes under these types of veggies such as cabbage, broccoli, kale, rutabagas, Brussels sprouts, and turnips. People in Asia love to have Cauliflower in a variety of dishes. You will find the cauliflower in one particular season. If you love to eat the cauliflower and bag so many heads at a time. Then it’s a risk factor to store it. Do you have any knowledge about how long does cauliflower last? If not, then we got you covered.
Check the guide without any fail and get to know the storage tips as well as facts, signs of cauliflower has spoiled, etc.
- Shelf Life of Cauliflower | How Long Does Cauliflower Last?
- Can Freeze Cauliflower | How To Freeze Cauliflower
- How To Store Cauliflower
- How To Tell If Cauliflower Is Bad?
- Fun Facts About Cauliflower
- FAQs on Does Cauliflower Go Bad
Shelf Life of Cauliflower | How Long Does Cauliflower Last?
The storage time for cauliflower when it is at room temperatures and in the fridge varies. If it is stored on the countertop then it lasts for a couple of days at room temperature. If the cauliflower is kept in a plastic bag after separating it into small pieces via a damp paper towel and stored in the fridge then it lasts for three weeks.
After boiling or preparing a curry of cauliflower then the leftover should seal in a container and stored in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. If you want to maintain this shelf life or for a longer time, you should be on point while purchasing and storing the veggie.
In case you feel a waste of time and mess with damp paper towels when you bought the best quality cauliflower from the store then it lasts for 2 weeks.
Now, let’s see the storage life of cooked cauliflower in detail. The veggies like broccoli or leeks after being cooked last a shorter time than cooked cauliflower ie., for five days plus an extra 1-2 maybe and it is completely based on the proper storage practices you follow.
|Cauliflower (fresh)||2 – 4 days||7 – 10 days|
|Cauliflower (cooked)||3 – 4 days|
|Cauliflower florets||3 – 4 days|
Download the table of cauliflower shelf life for free from here and share it on your social media handle for great gratitude responses from your dear ones.
Want to learn more about storage practices? Let’s check the below module.
Can Freeze Cauliflower | How To Freeze Cauliflower
We all know that cauliflower can be frozen as we found well in the supermarkets. The process of freezing the cauliflower is not that easy its a time taking one. The steps you need to follow to freeze the cauliflower are as such:
- Prep the cauliflower.
- Do whitewash for all the separated florets for upto 10-15 minutes.
- Drain the florets and dry or cool for some time.
- Now, you can divide the florets as per your required size and seal them tightly.
- At last, it’s good to place the container or bags into the freezer.
How To Store Cauliflower
Cauliflower is one of the tasty veggies that need cold and moist temperature conditions to store for a longer time.
An ideal method to store the fresh cauliflower is in a plastic bag using a damp paper towel. If the towel part is available still you can store the veggie fresh but it cut down the storage life by a couple of days.
Now, the best storage practice for cooked cauliflower is to use the resealable airtight container and store it in the fridge. Also, you can cover the head of the vegetable with plastic wrap or a paper towel to extend the shelf life like radishes.
If you need to store the cauliflower head in no time and cook it later, then make the whole flower into florets and keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Don’t wash any of the parts before storing them in the refrigerator.
How To Tell If Cauliflower Is Bad?
If you want to identify or tell if cauliflower is bad or not then you need to know the signs it forms on the head or florets which are explained here. You have to throw out the cauliflower when:
- The most common sign of spoilage for every vegetable is the smell. If the store-brought cauliflower smells stale after 1-2 days then it goes bad.
- It has grey or yellow florets at some places in the head. If that happens then it’s a spoilage sign. To prevent from that you have to cut the spotty or damaged parts.
- It has changed to slimy or soft then it’s unsafe to eat.
- The head of the cauliflower gets rotten or formed large clouds of mold. If the large part of the head is moldy or rotted then get rid of the remaining part also.
Fun Facts About Cauliflower
- The country that is leading in the world in terms of production of cauliflower is china.
- Cauliflower is a flower that is not developed fully.
- You can eat both florets and leaves of the cauliflower.
- Cauliflower leaves have a strong taste than the florets but have other benefits too.
- Cauliflower helps to cure cancer as it is rich in nutrients like vitamin C.
- There are four colors of cauliflower which are white, green, purple, and orange.
- If you cross plant the broccoli with cauliflower it produces green cauliflower and is labeled as “broccoflower”.
FAQs on Does Cauliflower Go Bad
1. Can you get sick from eating old cauliflower?
You may get sick by eating the old cauliflower as it tastes, flavor, and smells bad. But you won’t get affected by any serious infection after eating the bad cauliflower. This was stated in the report prepared by the Michigan State University Extension.
2. Does cauliflower in the fridge go bad?
No, a fresh cauliflower stored in the fridge doesn’t go bad for 7 to 10 days. After its storage time or when it shows any signs of spoilage then it gets bad.
3. Is it OK to eat cauliflower with brown spots?
Yes, it is ok to eat cauliflower after peeling the brown spots. When you left the cauliflower in the fridge for a longer time it generates brown spots. That doesn’t mean the whole head has spoiled. After removing the spots the cauliflower is good to consume.
If you follow all the guidelines listed in this guide properly then you can extend the storage life of the cauliflower and enjoy the dishes prepared with it. Hope that the details shared above “How Long Does Cauliflower Last” helped you a lot. Do gather other information regarding cauliflower and get awareness about the storage tips and signs of spoilage. Also, bookmark our site @canfoodgobad.com for more interesting updates on vegetables, grains, dairy, and other food items.