Do Sprinkles Expire: Sprinkles are the most cherished ones to add as toppings on ice creams, cakes, donuts, etc. If you have an out-of-date bottle with you in the kitchen and wonder do sprinkles expire this article is definitely for you.
If you have questions about the shelf life, whether can you freeze sprinkles, how to tell if they are bad, etc. this covers all of them in detail. Without wasting further time let’s dive deep into the article and study regarding the confectionery sprinkles.
- Do Sprinkles Go Bad?
- How Long Do Sprinkles Last?
- How To Store Sprinkles?
- How To Tell If Sprinkles Are Bad?
- Are Expired Sprinkles Bad For You?
- Can You Freeze Sprinkles?
- Fun Facts Regarding Sprinkles
- Do Sprinkles Expire If Opened?
- Should sprinkles be refrigerated?
- Is it OK to eat expired sprinkles?
Yes, Sprinkles do go bad. Although sprinkles contain sugar which can last for years it even contains some amount of fat that causes quality loss. So, we advise you to follow proper storage methods to ensure the freshness of the product.
Just like any other food item Sprinkles do come with an expiry date. In general, the shelf life of sprinkles is from 6-18 months and you can use them beyond this time too if stored properly. The Shelf life of sprinkles depends on the ingredients used as well as the storage methods you have opted for. Once you open the bag the quality degrades when exposed to air. The Shelf Life of Sprinkles in various conditions is listed as follows
|Best-by date + 3 – 12 months for best quality
The procedure to store sprinkles is given in detail here. Follow the instructions over here to use the Sprinkles for a long time. They are as under
- Keep your Sprinkles in a cool and dark place. A Cupboard or Pantry can be a perfect place to do so.
- Make sure to seal the bag tightly after you open the package.
- The only thing you need to maintain here is to limit the exposure to sunlight, heat, etc.
If you are planning to store sprinkles in the fridge all you have to do is store them in an airtight container. By doing so, you can expect your Sprinkles to stay fresh. One more pro tip is don’t keep wet spoons or dirty spoons in the container as this can damage the sprinkles and lead to quality loss. It can even form mold and lose its texture and color over time.
You can witness the changes in the Sprinkles to decide if they are bad or not. Usually, over time Sprinkles will lose their quality no matter how much care you have taken. Some of the possible signs by which you can confirm whether your Sprinkles are bad or not. They are listed as under
- Have a close look at the sprinkles and if you find any color fading it is because of sunlight exposure. There might be a difference in the taste.
- If you notice any mold growing it is also a sign that it has gone bad.
- In case of any change in smell
In the majority of cases, nothing happens to you. If you consume a small quantity it is unlike that you get sick from it. One might not experience serious health issues on consuming expired sprinkles. You will notice a difference in flavor and taste in the case of an expired one. So, for quality reasons, you can throw them out if you don’t feel like having them.
Yes, you can freeze Sprinkles. However, Sprinkles take a lot of time to go bad and you can use plastic bags and containers to keep them fresh. But be wise while you defrost sprinkles. Shift the Sprinkles to the fridge the night before and let them cool down to room temperature.
Below are some of the interesting facts that you need to know about Sprinkles. They are explained below
- Sprinkles are small pieces of confectionery.
- You can use them as decoration for desserts like cupcakes, brownies, ice cream, cookies, doughnuts, etc.
- They date back to the 18th century or earlier.
FAQs on Do Sprinkles Expire
Opened Sprinkles will not expire. It’s just that the shelf life of opened sprinkles is less compared to unopened sprinkles.
No, refrigerating sprinkles is not advised. Doing so will make it melt faster comparatively.
Yes, you can eat expired sprinkles as long as they are sweet and has no sour or off taste. The chances of getting sick from expired sprinkles are quite less.
We wish the information existing on our page regarding Do Sprinkles Expire has been beneficial to you. For more info on storage practices, and tips to extend the shelf life of it you can always look up to us. Have a sneak peek into the article on Baked Goods like Can Brownies Go Bad, etc. Keep connected to our site to avail latest updates on similar kinds of articles stay tuned to our site.