Can Whey Protein Go Bad?: These days everyone is health conscious and trying to live a healthy lifestyle with good choices and nutrients. If you are also started to be healthy and bought a few containers of whey protein than you needed at a time, and now when you see those containers you may get this question, how does whey protein last, and also as we brought it for the first time, you may not know how to store the powder properly.
Be free from all these questions by looking into the article that was provided by us. We have given all the needed information about can whey protein go bad or not, how long it lasts, and many more. To know all this, just start reading!!
- Can Whey Protein Go Bad And How to Tell If It Is Bad
- How Long Does Whey Protein Last
- Does Whey Protein Expire or Lose Effectiveness?
- How To Store Whey Protein?
- Interesting Facts About Whey Protein
- Can we freeze whey protein?
- How long can whey protein lasts once opened?
- Is there any risk in consuming expired whey protein?
Can Whey Protein Go Bad And How to Tell If It Is Bad
No, by storing the whey protein properly it will not go bad. All you should do is you need to keep the powder away from water. If it comes in contact with water, the powder will become hard. But if you store the whey protein for so long time the quality decreases and you will not get the vitamins that it will have as it was past its date. When you want to tell that the whey protein has gone bad then just check the look and smell of the protein powder, if you see any bugs or clumps and if it smells unpleasant then you should not use it.
If you can’t able to find any signs but it is stored for a long time then taste the whey protein, if it tastes unpleasant and unusual then discard the powder into the trash.
How Long Does Whey Protein Last
Like all the products available in the market, this whey protein also has a “best-by-date” or expiry date on the label. For this powder, we will have a very long expiry date like 12 to 18 months and even more. Even after the expiry date, it will last for a few more extra months longer, if you store it properly. Let us look into the shelf life of the whey protein in the table below for unopened and opened packs.
|Whey Protein (Closed)||“Best by” + 6 – 9 months|
|Whey Protein (Opened)||“Best by” + 3 – 6 months|
Does Whey Protein Expire or Lose Effectiveness?
For most of the food items or powders, we will have the expiry date on the label of the pack, they might provide the labels for two reasons. we will see what are those two reasons.
- The main reason that we have the expiry date on the label is, that as it is in powdered form, it gradually decreases the quality. Any powders if we take after some days the quality of the powder and flavor decreases.
- Another reason that we have an expiry on the powder is after a certain period of time the powder starts to digest itself, which means that the sugar in the powder starts to break down and also starts to decrease its nutritional values in the supplement.
If we lose the nutritional values and flavor then there is no use in using it. Still, if you don’t want these two you can use the powder after the expiry by storing it well.
How To Store Whey Protein?
If you want to store the whey protein for a longer time, the storing method of the whey protein should be good. Here we are going to discuss those storing tips to prolong the shelf life of whey protein.
- When you want to keep the powder for a long time, keep the protein in a cool, dry place in the pantry and away from the heat elements.
- Use a dry spoon every time when you take out the powder.
- Store the whey protein in an air-tight container and seal it tightly and make sure the moisture should not enter the container.
Interesting Facts About Whey Protein
There are many unknown and interesting facts that we do not know about Whey Protein. Let us gain some knowledge about whey protein by looking into the points that were given below.
- Using whey protein helps to improve the health of the immune system.
- Benefits of whey protein include weight loss and lowering cholesterol.
- It is a mixture of alpha-lactalbumin, beta-lactoglobulin, bovine serum albumin, and immunoglobins.
- Whey protein has anti-cancer properties.
FAQs on Does Whey Protein Go Bad
1. Can we freeze whey protein?
No, you can store the whey protein in a cool dry place at room temperature, than by keeping it in the freezer, it is better to keep it in a dark cupboard.
2. How long can whey protein last once opened?
Whey protein lasts up to 3-6 months after the best by date once it is opened.
3. Is there any risk in consuming expired whey protein?
No, you can take whey protein even after expiry but it losses its flavor and nutritional values over time. After losing them there will be no use in drinking them but still, you can drink them if you want.
We hope that we have covered all the information about can whey protein go bad? and it is useful and beneficial for you. Whey protein always gives an extra boost to your body when you do works outs or want to bulk up. Store it properly to store it for a long time. Still, for more interesting updates, bookmark our site.