Can Marshmallows Go Bad?: Have you ever bought a bag of marshmallows and got the question in mind Can Marshmallows Go Bad? You aren’t alone in this and we all have been through this. Like any other food, Marshmallows do go bad and you need to employ proper storage methods to prevent them from spoiling. In this article of ours, we will try to explain all about the Shelf Life of Marshmallows, Tips to Tell if Marshmallows Are Bad, Can you Freeze Marshmallows, etc. Continue reading further to know more in detail about Marshmallows.
- Do Marshmallows Go Bad?
- How Long Do Marshmallows Last? | Shelf Life of Marshmallows
- How To Store Marshmallows To Keep Them Fresh?
- How To Tell If Marshmallows Are Bad?
- Can You Freeze Marshmallows?
- Weird Facts About Marshmallows
- How to know if Marshmallows are Expired?
- Are Marshmallows Ok in the Fridge?
- Can Marshmallows grow mold?
Yes, Marshmallows do go bad depending on the variety they are and how they have been stored. Each Marshmallow bag comes with its own best-by-date listing of how long the product retains its freshness. If the marshmallow bag is unopened it will last for about 8 months and even a few weeks after the expiration date. However, it’s not the same with opened marshmallows and they need to be consumed as early as possible as they are more prone to spoilage.
Marshmallows will stay up only a few weeks after the expiration date. In order to extend their shelf life, you can even go for refrigeration or even store them in the fridge. Different varieties of Marshmallows will have different storage periods. Some of them which you buy in supermarkets will stay for a year or even more than that. However, the ones which you buy in local stores will shorter shelf life compared to the ones bought in supermarkets.
When it comes to Open Marshmallows they stay fresh on the day you open them. However, don’t use this as an excuse to finish them in one go and you can have them within a couple of weeks as they stay that long.
|Marshmallows (unopened)||Best-by + 1-2 months||Best-by + 6+ months|
|Marshmallows (opened)||1 week||3+ months|
You can store unopened Marshmallows in a cool and dry place away from the sources of heat and sunlight. A Pantry or Kitchen can be the perfect place to store them. After opening the candies make sure to seal the bag tightly. However, if you want to store Marshmallows for an extended period of time you can either freeze or refrigerate as per your choice than storing them at room temperature.
Keep the Marshmallows away from sunlight or any other sources of heat as they can melt and stick together. If you want to keep the Marshmallows for a long time you can opt for refrigeration. The only problem with refrigeration is that the Marshmallows become firmer. If you are not clear on when you are going to use the Marshmallows you can even keep them in the Freezer.
It is advised to have a look at the bunch of old marshmallows that are kept in storage for a while. See the signs of spoilage over here and decide whether your marshmallows are good or not. Throw out your Marshmallows if you notice any of these signs.
- Hardened: If you feel your Marshmallows are hardened it’s a sign that they went wrong and you should let them go. In general, Marshmallows need to be light and fluffy.
- Stale or Off Smell: When you do a quick whiff you should get a sugary smell. If you get any stale or off smell it’s time for them to go.
- Melted: If by any chance your Marshmallows sat in a warm environment they will begin to melt. This doesn’t mean you need to throw them and you can still have them but the texture you are expecting is not the same anymore.
- Off Taste: If you find the taste is different from what you are expecting better toss it out.
- Find any bugs in the Container: If you notice any pantry pests in the bag of marshmallows by any chance they might infect the Marshmallows if you don’t seal them properly. If this is the case you can throw them out.
To know about similar kinds of candies or stuff you can go through our article on Can Maple Syrup Go Bad.
Yes, you can Freeze Marshmallows. if you don’t have a plan to consume the Marshmallows in the near time you can freeze them. If it is an unopened Marshmallow bag it can go straight into the freezer. If you open the Marshmallows shift them to an air-tight container and seal them tightly. Remember not to pack the candy too tightly both in an airtight container and a freezer bag as they will squish. Defrosting hardly takes 10-30 minutes based on the size and you can simply leave them on the counter.
There is much more to learn about Marshmallows and we have listed some of the little-known facts about Marshmallows in the below sections. Go through them for your knowledge.
- A marshmallow is a plant in real.
- Earlier doctors used to mix marshmallow saps with eggs white and sugar to use as medicine for sore throats, wounds, and coughs.
- Marshmallows are found back then in 2000 BC.
- Astronauts insert Marshmallows in their nostrils to protect their nasal linings.
- August 30th is celebrated as National Toast Marshmallow Day.
- You can get around 318 calories by consuming 100 gms of Marshmallows.
- The largest marshmallow designed in the world weighs around 93.10kg.
FAQs on Do Marshmallows Go Bad?
If you feel the marshmallows became harder, taste different from usual, or get any off smell it’s time for them to go as they have expired.
Yes, you can keep the Marshmallows in the Fridge and they stay perfectly fine as long as they are stored properly.
Sugar present in Marshmallows prevents them from getting affected by bacteria and fungi thus they can’t grow mold. However, in very rare cases they might develop mold.
Hope the information existing on our page like Can Marshmallows Go Bad has been helpful to you. If you need any other assistance feel free to reach us via the comment section and our team will guide you. Keep connected to us to avail latest updates on similar kinds of articles like Can Jam Go Bad and Can Chocolate Syrup Go Bad etc.