Can Cheesecake Go Bad?: Do you have more cheesecake with you that you can’t finish up within one setting? You might have questions in your head like Can Cheesecake Go Bad, How to Store Cheesecake, How Long Does Cheesecake Last, etc. no worries as we have covered them all here. You can go by the freezing option if you want to extend the shelf life of the Cheesecake. If you have any of these questions regarding shelf life, storage practices, and signs to tell if Cheesecake has gone bad or not then this article is for you.
- Does Cheesecake Go Bad?
- How to Store Cheesecake?
- How Long Does Cheesecake Last?
- How to tell if Cheesecake Has Gone Bad?
- Can You Freeze Cheesecake?
- How to Defrost Cheesecake?
- What Happens if You Eat Expired Cheesecake?
- Little Known Facts About Cheesecake
- How do you know when Cheesecake Goes Bad?
- Can you get sick from eating old Cheesecake?
- Does Cheesecake Go Bad if Left Out?
Does Cheesecake Go Bad?
Yes, Cheesecake does go bad. As Cheesecake is made of ingredients like Eggs, Cream, Cheese, and Flavorings the shelf life of Cheesecake is shorter. Cheesecake will go bad and is unsafe to eat if left out at room temperature. High Perishable Ingredients used in the Cheesecake will lead to bacteria listeria and salmonella that are not visible to the naked eye. It will not take much time for Cheesecake to go bad. Leaving your dessert on the Counter will turn your tasty dessert into harmful bacteria.
How to Store Cheesecake?
To Store, your Cheesecake in the Fridge seal it tightly. Store-bought Cheesecake usually comes in a Plastic Container that is great for baked goods. Wrap the cake with plastic wrap and then shift it to the airtight container. If you are planning to finish the Cheesecake within a few hours after bringing it you can leave it on the counter at room temperature itself. Or else remove the paper and then transfer the cake to an air-tight container.
If you are about to store homemade Cheesecakes you can cut them into pieces and then shift it to airtight containers. You can even use a cake carrier if it fits in your Fridge. Make sure the Cheesecake is sealed tightly so that it won’t dry out or pick any smells from the Fridge. If you are not sure when to eat the Cheesecake you can go with the freezing option.
How Long Does Cheesecake Last?
Eggs used in Cheesecake are delicate so Cheesecake will not stay forever. The shelf life of Store Bought Cheesecake is around 5-7 days. When it comes to Homemade Cheesecake the Shelf Life is about 5 days only. If you want to extend the Shelf Life you should go for Freezing. The Cake will stay of good quality for months when stored in Freezer. In general, store-bought Cheesecake will have more preservatives compared to Homemade Cheesecake and thus stays forever. Please note the period are only rough estimates and you can go by the best date on the label.
|Cheesecake (homemade)||3 – 5 days||1+ month|
|Cheesecake (store-bought)||5 – 7 days||3+ months|
How to tell if Cheesecake Has Gone Bad?
It is easy to identify whether your Cheesecake has gone bad or not by looking for common signs of spoilage. Below we have mentioned some of the visual signs by which you can decide whether your Cheesecake has gone bad or not. They are as under
- Mold Growth: The presence of Mold is a sure-shot sign that tells if your Cheesecake has spoiled or not. Leaving the cheesecake uncovered might cause mold to grow. Just because you can’t see the mold that doesn’t mean the cake is spoiled.
- Foul Smell: Have a quick sniff and see if there is any foul smell and if you get one it isn’t fresh.
- Discoloration: At times Cheesecake will turn yellow and greyish in color due to bacterial activity.
- Aging: Fresh Cheesecake will have smooth and even edges whereas stale cakes have to crust and split edges. The cheese will have a different rubbery and have an off taste.
Can You Freeze Cheesecake?
Yes, you can Freeze Cheesecake. However, it will not freeze well if it comes with toppings that ruin freezing. You might have seen Frozen Cheesecake in the Supermarket or Cake packed in dry ice. It is a sign that you can freeze Cheesecake. Freezing is pretty much straightforward and all you need is a plastic bag, freezer bags, or airtight containers. Learn how to freeze Cheesecake in the below modules
- Wrap It: Tightly wrap the cheesecake in a plastic bag, freezer bag, or aluminum foil.
- Add Extra Protection: To Prevent the Cheesecake from Freezer Burn add extra protection to it and keep it in Airtight Container. To prevent your cheesecake from getting squished use a container.
- Freeze it: The Last but not least step is to freeze it and add a label mentioning the name and date.
- How Long Does Pita Bread Last
- Do You Need to Refrigerate Bread Pudding
- How Long Does Banana Bread Last
How to Defrost Cheesecake?
To defrost Cheesecake the best place is to store in Fridge and leave it overnight. You might even need 12+ hours to thaw it if it is a large piece or whole cheesecake. Some people even recommend keeping the Cheesecake on the counter for 4-5 hours to defrost this. However, we won’t suggest you do so as perishable goods outside the fridge are dangerous.
However, this technique can work if you store the Cheesecake properly. You can even refreeze the thawed Cheesecake Leftovers in the Fridge if you don’t have a plan of finishing it in the next couple of days.
What Happens if You Eat Expired Cheesecake?
Cheesecake expires after a few days of production. However, after this expiration date Cheesecake can be a place for bacterial activity. There is a greater risk of eating this expired cheesecake as harmful bacteria like Salmonella Enteritidis, Escherichia coli, and Campylobacter will get into this cake. These bacteria may cause symptoms such as stomach ache, nausea, vomiting, fever, and dehydration. If you notice any signs of spoilage like off smell or difference in taste better toss it out.
Little Known Facts About Cheesecake
Find some of the food facts about Cheesecake and why we love it the most in the bottom section. They are along the lines
- Cheesecake is been eaten all over the world for hundreds of years.
- Cheesecakes originated in Ancient Greece and are even served to athletes in Olympic Games.
- The Cheesecake Shots consist of both vanilla schnapps and cranberry juice.
- Different Variations of Cheesecake have evolved over time by changing the toppings and flavors.
- The Largest Cheesecake weighing 4240 kgs was created by a Cheeseberry Company back in 2017.
- You will get up to 321 calories on eating a cheesecake of 100 gms.
FAQs on Does Cheesecake Go Bad If Left Out
1. How do you know when Cheesecake Goes Bad?
You can understand if your Cheesecake went bad or not by seeing the signs like discoloration, foul smell, mold growing or aging.
2. Can you get sick from eating old Cheesecake?
Yes, you can get sick from eating old Cheesecake and have symptoms of food poisoning like vomiting, stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea.
3. Does Cheesecake Go Bad if Left Out?
Yes, Cheesecake goes bad if Left Out and may even turn sour in taste or get digestive issues.
Hope the knowledge shared above with regards to Can Cheesecake Go Bad has enlightened you. Just like any other baked food Cheesecake does go and storing them properly will help you extend the shelf life. If you need any help on Cheesecake Shelf Life, or Storage Practices you can always look up to us. Stay in touch with us to get the latest updates on similar products like How Long Do Cupcakes Last and Can Brownies Go Bad, etc.