Does Kiwi Go Bad?: Kiwi is a fruit rich in nutrients like Vitamin C and dietary fibers. Being rich in several minerals and plant compounds, you might have bought this fruit in bunches to stay healthy. But do you know if Kiwis can go bad or not? You can learn more about the shelf life of kiwis, how to store them, and various signs to know if they have gone bad.
The life span of kiwis can be extended by storing them in a cooled environment. You can make plenty of dishes from a kiwi which can be really healthy for you. Know more fascinating facts about kiwis in the following sections
- Can Kiwis Go Bad & How To Tell If Kiwis Went Bad?
- How To Store Kiwis?
- How Long Do Kiwis Last?
- Risk of Consuming Expired Kiwis
- Fascinating Facts About Kiwis
- Can refrigerated kiwis go bad?
- How long do kiwis last in the fridge?
- Are soft kiwis bad?
- What happens if you consume a bad kiwi?
Yes, kiwis can go bad if not stored properly. When a kiwi is ripe, it takes several days at room temperature to get spoiled. However, keeping it in a fridge can extend its shelf life to four weeks. Kiwis can easily get spoiled if they are stored inappropriately. Therefore it is best to check the signs of spoilage before using them.
- You can easily find out if a kiwi is spoiled by looking at its skin and pulp. When you observe any green or brown mold, discard the fruit. The mold will appear to be fuzzy and have white flecks on the skin.
- Over a period of time, kiwis start getting mushy patches on them. Check for wet or mushy patches on the skin of the kiwi. This means the kiwi is spoiled and should be disposed of.
- Kiwis that are bad will have a foul and acidic smell to them. Smell the kiwi and if it has an unpleasant smell, it is spoiled. A fresh kiwi will give off a citrusy and sweet smell.
- You can also squeeze the kiwi to know if it is hard or mushy. Gently squeeze the kiwi by its sides. If it is very soft, it means it has gone bad. Touching the pulp of the kiwi to see if it is dry can help us know if it has gone bad. The pulp must be soft and juicy. If it is dry and hard, the kiwi has gone bad.
We already know that kiwis have a short lifespan, and proper storage conditions are vital to extending their shelf life. So it is advisable to follow these tips to store kiwis fresh as long as possible.
- Buy good kiwis which do not have any bruises or cuts on them. Inspect it properly before buying. It is advised to store these kiwis in the fridge to increase their life span. There are two choices for refrigerating kiwis, one is to simply place them in the fridge to stay good for 2 to 3 weeks or in the freezer for 3 to 5 months.
- Store the unripe kiwis away from sunlight and just keep them in a fruit basket. If exposed to sunlight, it can get bad quickly. To keep the kiwis healthy for 5 months, you need to follow instructions while refrigerating.
- Keep the kiwis in an airtight container like a freezer bag and remove air from it and seal it tightly. Keep the bag either in the refrigerator or freezer. In this way, you can preserve kiwis easily.
Kiwis can last for 4 weeks or more. If you leave the kiwis at room temperature in the kitchen, then they will last for 3 to 6 days based on the temperature. In the fridge, kiwis can last for about 2 to 4 weeks while in a freezer it can last 3 to 5 months. The amount of juice in the kiwis is more when stored in the fridge. The cut kiwis will last for 3 to 5 days in the fridge. Check the below provided Kiwi Shelf Life Chart.
|Unripe Kiwi||2 to 7 days, until ripe||Up to a month||Up to 1 year|
|Ripe Kiwi||3 to 6 days||2 to 4 weeks||3 to 5 months|
Consuming an expired kiwi can lead to food poisoning. It is better to throw away kiwis that have molds and are rotten.
Eating moldy kiwis is not healthy, but the result will depend on if the spoiled kiwi is consumed or not. Eating an expired kiwi can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea. Consult a doctor immediately if you have consumed an expired Kiwi.
The interesting facts about tropical fruit are given here:
- Kiwis are native to Eastern Asia.
- They are rich in vitamin C.
- Kiwis are sweet but low in calories
- Kiwi is named after the kiwi bird for its uncanny resemblance
- Kiwi fruits contain high potassium and Vitamin E.
- Pregnant ladies are encouraged to eat kiwi fruit for its high folate level
- California produces 98 percent of the kiwifruit grown in the United States.
- China grows over 400 varieties of kiwifruit.
FAQs on Does Kiwi Go Bad
Yes, refrigerated kiwis can go bad. The kiwis retain their quality for 4 weeks in the fridge.
Kiwis last up to 4 weeks in the fridge. In the freezer, kiwis can last up to 5 months and an unripe kiwi can last almost a year
Yes, soft and mushy kiwis are bad. If the kiwi is juicy and smells citrusy, then the kiwi is good
Eating a bad kiwi can lead to nausea and vomiting. It can lead to food poisoning for which a doctor is needed
We hope that the data shared here about Does Kiwi Go Bad is useful for you. Along with this, you can also gather related information such as kiwi storage tips, spoilage signs, and kiwi shelf life. Stay tuned to our site to know useful information about other fruits and food items. Bookmark our site to get the latest updates on Can You Freeze Kiwi and many others in a matter of no time.