Can Soy Sauce Go Bad: Soy sauce is the most common ingredient that was used in Asian dishes, in many houses we will see this condiment in their kitchen. But if you are not using much and keeping it in the pantry or in fridge for long time without checking any expiry then you need to know how long the soy sauce will last, can soy sauce go bad or not and many more.
Here we have provided you with the quick guide on shelf life, storage tips, how long does it last, interesting facts, and many more. Start reading to know all these!!
- What is Soy Sauce?
- Storing Soy Sauce
- How to Tell if Soy Sauce is Bad
- Shelf life of Soy Sauce
- Does Soy Sauce Go Bad?
- Does Soy Sauce Needs To Be Refrigerated?
- Fun Facts About Soy Sauce
- Can you freeze soy sauce?
- What is the best substitute for soy sauce?
- Is soy sauce vegan?
Soy sauce is a popular ingredient that was used in many Asian dishes like meat marination, sauce drippings. Soy sauce is the must have condiment for Japanese food like sushi. It will have a dark brown color and semi thick texture. As it has many varieties it has slightly different tastes. Soy sauce is mostly made from soy beans. This soy sauce is loaded with high amount of sodium, and it is not suitable for those who strictly follow gluten free diet.
Storing soy sauce is very effortless as it is very easy to store. Once if you store it properly you no need to worry about going bad as it will last for long. And here we are going to provide some tips to store, you can follow them if you don’t know how to store.
- As long as the bottle of soy sauce is unopened, you can store the bottle in your pantry or in your kitchen cabinet.
- And for unopened bottles pantry is the best place and it should be kept in cool, dry place.
- Even if it is an opened bottle you can store it in the pantry or you can store it in the fridge.
- After every use, keep the lid tightly, so that contaminants will not go into it.
- If you want store the soy sauce for long time, keeping it in the fridge is good.
As soy sauce has many preservatives and it will not go bad that easily, but still there is a chance of spoilage if you do not store it properly. If you know those signs you can prevent of eating spoiled soy sauce. So, we have provided you with some signs to know that soy sauce has gone bad.
- As soy sauce is in dark color, if you see any discoloration or change in color then it is not good. Because of oxidation process the color changes.
- And also the texture of soy sauce should have semi thick texture, but if you find that it is watery then toss it out as it was spoiled.
- When you smell the soy sauce if it smells funny, super strong smell then it is a sign of spoilage, just discard it into the trash
- If you see any visual signs like mold growth, color or flavor then you need to toss it out. When you taste it if it is flavorless and it doesn’t seems fresh then you need to discard it as it was spoiled.
Like any other condiments, even soy sauce also has a expiry date on the label. Always check the label of best by date and then buy it. So that we can store it for long. Once if you open the sauce, over the time the quality of soy sauce will retain. If it is opened or unopened storing it properly will stay fresh for couple of years even if it is past the expiry. Look into the approximate shelf life of soy sauce in the table below.
|Soy sauce (opened)
|Soy sauce (unopened)
|Best-by + 1 – 2 years
|“Best by” + 1 – 2 years
Yes, like many other food condiments the soy sauce will also go bad, but no that easily. If you store it properly you can use it for long time. If it is opened or unopened bottle of soy sauce can be stored either in pantry or refrigerator. If you are using the bottle of soy sauce after a long time always taste it before using. Soy sauce will not go bad that easily as long as water or other ingredients are added to it.
Water, Salt, Jaggery, Soy Bean (7%), Sugar, Caramel Color (INS 150d), Acidity Regulator (INS 260), Starch
Allergen Information: This Product is Processed on Machinery and in a Plant that also Processes Clery, Milk, Mustard, Nuts, Sesame, Soy, and Wheat
Nutritional Information (Approx. Values)
Serving Size: 7 g
No. of Servings in pack: 31
|% RDA per serving
|Total Fat (g)
|Saturated Fat (g)
|Trans Fat (g)
|Trans Fat (g)
|Total Carbohydrate (g)
|Total Sugar (g)
|Added Sugar (g)
*% RDA values are based on 2,000 kcal
Yes, unlike miso and fish sauce, once after opening the bottle of soy sauce, you can keep it in the refrigerator if you want to store it for a long time, refrigeration is the best option. It is not compulsory to store in the fridge but if you do so, it is quite beneficial. It will be useful if you use soy sauce less often. But when you keep it in the refrigerator always keep the seal tightly and clean the cap after every use. But if you think that it will complete in a couple of months, there is no need for refrigeration.
Soy sauce is a common condiment in many kitchens. Even though we don’t know many things about soy sauce. Some of us do not know anything about it. So, we are providing some facts about it to know for those who don’t know.
- Soy sauce is one of the oldest condiments and it originated in China.
- In soy sauce, we have different variations like shoyu, Tamari, Ponzu, Toyo, and Ganjang.
- Soy sauce will add the best flavor to many foods like rice and meat.
- Soy sauce is rich in antioxidants, protein, and a small amount of fiber.
FAQs on Does Soy Sauce Go Bad
No, you cannot freeze the soy sauce. It should only be kept in the room temperature or in the refrigerator. As soy sauce is the liquid based product, it is having high amount of salt, salt prevents the sauce to be liquid.
The best substitute for soy sauce can be vegetable bouillon, Maggi seasoning sauce, beef broth, bone broth , rice wine vinegar, and coconut aminos.
Yes, soy sauce is vegan. The common ingredients that was used in this soy sauce is soybeans, salt and water.
Hope that the information that was given about can soy sauce go bad is useful for you. If you like it share it with others who needs it. Still if you need any assistance you can comment to us in the comment section. By storing the soy sauce properly you can store it for long time. For more condiment articles like can vinegar go bad, can mayonnaise go bad, checkout our site.